which satellite speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Adam M, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi guys,

I am normally a car forums person, but I decided I needed help on this, so if you can help me, much appreciated.

I have just down graded my cinema set up as I was using a full active naim system for my front speakers but due to a room reshuffle the hifi is separate.

I decided to do this after hearing the BOSE acoustimas 15 system and being sufficiently pleased. Since hi fi is my main interesty, te drop in quality wasnt too important to me.

The room is fairly small but has a davis DLS projector and 8ft wide owl screen. Sound is by way of pioner 925 laserdisc player, sony dvp7700 dvd player, denon avd 200 dolby digital decoder and rotel rb985 5 channel amp.

At the moment the rears and centre speaker are ruark epilogue and dialogue, but the room reshuffle has meant I will be using satellite front speakers due to space limitations.

I hadd decied to go for the bose, but on visiting my naim dealer they also recommended M and K satellites, using tripolar surrounds at the back.

I happy to change all five (I dont have a sub yet) but am looking for a decent recommendation on some satellite speakers.

I know they will never match the old system for guts and delivery, but I would like the best possible sound available from a satellite speaker.

Although my budget is not limitless, I was under the impression that satellite speakers dont go that expensive, so any recommendations will be great.

Thanks for bothering to read this.

Adam

2. GOLDIE

GOLDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    I would be inclined to sell on your Ruark speakers, because even though they are very good, true home cinema is about integration of sound.
    So....that said I would suggest that you go with the originally suggested M&K package called the 'K' series. The package is remarkably cinematic, and sound moves very well beacause of the dispersion characteristics.
    If you find that there is not enough scale and depth on the bottom end with the K sub, simply upgrade.

I hope that this is of some help to you.
    ;)

3. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanls for that.

The ruraks will be going anyway, as I want a balance front and rear.

The room is currently too small for a sub, but I will be adding possibly the smallest of the M and K range.

Unfortunately the room is not conducive to allowing me to use the tri polar rear speakers. so I will be using the £175 per corner speakers all round.

Can someone recommend an and K dealer in north london? my current reatiler is in southend on sea and it is a little far for me to travel for auditions.

Many thanks once again.

4. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adam M,

Can't recommend a retailer but you can find out which retailers stock the K series from the main distributor which you can get from the M&K web site. From memory I think it was Geco ... based in Croydon. I seem to remember that they were pretty thin on the ground for some reason.

Regards