Which Sat Nav is best on foot?

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by 5tratocaster, May 1, 2007.

1. 5tratocaster

5tratocaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m about to buy my first Sat Nav and have been looking at the big three for under £200.
    I’m taking the car to Brittany this year, so European maps would be handy.
    However, the ability to use it whilst walking round a strange town is just as important to me as getting there in the first place.
    I decided to cut out Garmin at an early stage because of a number of comments concerning its poor speaker output (I’m getting a bit deaf in my old age).
    Any other views on this?
    That leaves the TomTom One Europe at around £180 or the Navman N40i, which I’ve seen for £190.
    The irony is that the TomTom has a pedestrian mode, but only a 2 hr battery life, whereas the Navman has a 4.5 hr battery life but no pedestrian mode (i.e. it avoids taking you up one way streets even if you are on foot, and probably – I don’t know, I’m only guessing – has more difficulty keeping track of where you are at walking pace).
    Does anyone use theirs on foot and how do they perform?
    Is the Navman quoted battery life realistic?

2. Atang

Atang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, not too sure if the tomtom units are good enough to carry around as they are pretty chunky, apart from TomTom GO.

However, noticed a cracking deal on the Siemens LOOX N100 at PLAY.COM

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/BROWSE/316/402/3-/RegionHome.html?searchtype=genre

It's palm sized and reviews have been pretty good. I havent got one, but I am tempted myself especially at this price. Hope this hasnt thrown a spanner in the works for you!! :smashin:

forgot to add it's £129!

3. PCNutty

PCNutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you do go for the N100, I would recomend updating the firmware found at http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/com/support/downloads.html This will make the sat nav section run a bit quicker Plus add the option of viewing photos & video on it as well. I have just got one of these & i have to say they are excellent value for money !

4. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    Yeah, a PDA would give you much more flexibility - especially on foot. Not only can you have TomTom etc installed, but also stuff like Memory map or using Mobile Gmaps and such like.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I use a PDA with built in GPS and have Tom Tom when i'm driving and Memory Map when i'm on foot or off road cycling.

Problem with Memory Map is you'll need OS maps which are not cheap and depending on how far you travel can amount to quite a lot of maps.

For example I live in Manchester and often travel to the peak district, lancashire, N Wales & Staffs which amounts to about 4 map regions @ £50 each :eek: (I thnink they do a full UK pakage at a slightly cheaper cost). And old OS maps are not compatible with the latest verson of mem Map so you have to buy the current version maps.

Another problem when on foot is that the battery is unlikey to last a full day so you'll need a higher capacity battery (I use an external one, which is about 5 x the power and will power almost ANY mobile device).
    It's good to have the PDA on all day whilst your on a trek as it tracks your route in Memory Map which can bes useful.

6. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    There is an easy way around that, i've done it, but i'm not sure if it's legal.

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I wish I'd spoke to you last year !

8. bibamus

bibamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Garmin Nuvi 360. Has full European mapping and will fit in your pocket. Battery lasts up to 8 hours out of the car, speaks street names, bluetooth, mp3 player, etc etc.

Best Sat Nav unit I have used ( and I have used a lot!)
    Allan

9. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    The Garmins also have a headphone socket if your worried about the volume of the speaker.

Paul

10. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +555
    It has been over a year since the last post in this thread.

In the last year have there been any developments for sat nav for pedestrians??

11. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    My Nuvi 760 has a pedestrian mode, which optimizes your route for walking.
    I used it in Brighton last week, it worked very well.
    Good POI's on it too.

12. Dean08

Dean08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've found the Garmin Nuvi 7xx series work well on foot too. It's slim enough to fit in your pocket whilst walking along. It has an off-road mode too if you want to walk cross-country.

13. stabi009

stabi009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i own a garmin gps map60 and i'm pretty happy with it. it doesn't have a colour screen or extensive maps on it, but its perfect to explore a city using waypoints of interesting places, views, pubs or shops. it's easy to handle and carry around. coverage is good. usually i've got reception under trees and in narrow streets as well. sometimes however it takes on my nerves when i need the satellites as i'm tracking my ways too. As i like to explore cities by foot and gps, i found this article helpful to discover some nice places in london for gps walking.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  14. nemmi69

nemmi69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have Garmin on my Nokia N95....works a treat. Bit funny when it tells me of speed cameras:)