1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Samsung for DVD?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Scott KL, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Scott KL

Scott KL
    Standard Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi, newbie here.

I require some advice in purchasing a DLP projector. Where I am currently working, and will be for 2 years in Malaysia, there is a limited number of plasma’s and RPTV’s on offer (I left all my AV kit in the UK!). I have decided against a Plasma due to the PQ versus cost so have settled for a DLP RPTV for now. The 2 models I have viewed on display are the Samsung HL-P5063W and HL-P5085W, which go under the model no’s SP50L3HX and SP50L7HX here respectively.

There is no HD material available here so I would be using the set primarily for DVD viewing but some analogue cable TV also (boo hiss). I have read in another forum that the HD3 chip that comes with the 5063 is better suited at SD material as opposed to the HD2+ with the 5085. My question is if I am using an upscaler 720p/1080i DVD player with HDMI, which Samsung would be the better set for DVD playback? I am unsure whether upscaled DVD is classed as standard or high definition (although I realize it is not pure HD). If the Samsung TV scales all signals to 720p anyway, is a 720p DVD player even necessary?

Also, I am considering to buy the Pioneer 969 (868 equivalent) DVD player as this has the HDMI output and is half the cost of the UK RRP. Also, the Samsung DVD HD948 (720p/1080i HD, Faroudja DCDi technology and HDMI output) will available here in 1 or 2 months, is it worth waiting bearing in mind it is a third of the cost of the panny (I am a firm believer in ‘you get what you pay for’). Am I correct in assuming the DV-969 can support 720p HD playback through the HDMI output? Is this better quality than progressive through the component leads?

For convenience I would prefer to get the 5063 as it comes with the cabinet and is 280 pounds cheaper. But I would get the 5085 purely if it would be better PQ when watching DVDs, even if it means a loss in quality when watching normal cable broadcasts.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.