1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which RPTVs use lenticular lensing?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Tarbat, May 27, 2005.

1. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    This thread - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215453 - in the Hi-Def forum says that RPTVs often use lenticular lensing to make the picture brighter when viewed straight on, at the expense of dimmer images off-axis. So, my question. Which of the current crop of RPTVs use lenticular lensing. I'm thinking of the latest Toshibas, Samsungs, Sagems, Thomsons.

2. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I know my old Tosh 46WH08 had one, but I dont think any modern dlp does as they are all uniformly bright, or if they have then the optical technolgy has improved, I would not worry about it

3. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    All RPTV's suffer from the same issues.. i.e. there off-axis performance is much worse then on-axis..

The only technologies that are in the mainstream that don't suffer are CRT and PLASMA...

Of course there are differences in Lens design, so some are better in the Horizontal, some better in the Vertical plane.. I think most people would prefer something with a wider Horizontal viewing angle, since this allows more viewable seating positions in the room..

4. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    my point is, they are all the same, so there is no point in worring about it