1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which RP TV - Sony 42" LCD RP or LG 44" DLP RP

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jonwilde, May 10, 2004.

1. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone give any advice on which TV to for have seen both side by side in my local Currys playing the same DVD but just canot make up my mind, the LG seemed to have the edge over the Sony only slightly though, can anyone give any views on these two rear projectors.
    Thanks Jon

2. jason_one

jason_one
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which sony?

3. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SONY KF-42SX300U

4. jason_one

jason_one
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    qed doing sony for £1600 free p&p
    why do you want a rear pro?
    [richer sounds has low price plasmas]

5. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't wall hang a palsma at home and the LG had as good a picture as the plasmas in Currys. I do doubt if Currys have the palsmas set up properly though. Have you seen the LG and what do you have ?

6. jason_one

jason_one
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iv'e seen the lg but the one i saw the colour looked wash out and you can't see the picture very well in a room with daylight it just didnot seem bright
    iv'e sold my sony 21" 2 weeks ago and are thinking of plasma or a Projector
    i was thinking of a rear pro 18 months ago but they need to have a dim room for pictures to look nice also prices have droped on all tvs so there is more chose for me.ckeck reviews on all tvs before you buy www.pricerunner.co.uk

7. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Jon, there is a long-ish thread about the LG set around (search on the model number).

The Colours on the LG are not washed out... I had a similar problem deciding between the LG and the LCD Samsung so I understand what you're going through. With a set this size I would try and get one that's got progressive on the component (or even better DVI), it really does make a difference on a set this size.

The LG set is also surprisingly user firendly considering LG aren't well known for decent TVs. It certainly looks fantastic on my Ikea Oppli...

The Sony is newer so not as much about it on here (looks decent though) and i'm sure either would make you very happy...

Plasmas at this price are inferior to these newer RPTVs...

8. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I have seen the Sony 60 inch and the PQ is fantastic. There are a few threads around about these Sony TVs.

I had set my mind on the 50 inch which can be got for £2k as being the best solution for me, but then a Panny shop a mile from my house had a load of Panny plasmas for £2k so after months of agonising before deciding on the 50inch Sony I bought a plasma on the spur of the moment.

Doesn't alter the fact the 60 inch Sony has a great picture, I would expect the 42 to be brilliant also, but they are difficult to get a look at.

9. emma129

emma129
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brand SONY
    Dimensions 82.0x120.0x37.0(H/W/D)cm
    Picture 16:9 Widescreen format Widescreen format for viewing films in the format originally intended by the director.
    Visible screen 42inches Screen sizes vary in size. Pure flat screen reduce distortio n
    TV size (inches) 42inches Size of the television measured diagonally across the screen
    100HZ flicker free technology Yes Double the standard scan rate. Provides a high quality picture without screen flicker.
    Screen type Standard
    Projection system LCD These use an LCD panel rather than a tube based projector to make their pictures. This means they can be slimmer than their CRT counterparts. They also keep the red, blue and green parts of the image together better giving sharper pictures.
    Sound N/A
    Virtual Dolby surround sound Yes Virtual Dolby TVs adjust the way the sound emerges from the two stereo speakers on the TV so that your ears are fooled into thinking they are hearing sound from behind them even though there are no rear speakers there. This delivers a better sound than a Nicam TV but is not up to the quality of Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby Digital 5.1.
    Reception Analogue
    Power output (RMS) 2x20watts A larger output results in greater volume.
    Subwoofer power output (RMS) 2x10watts For improved bass effect.
    Headphone socket Yes Enables the use of personal headphones.
    Audio and video inputs Front For easy connection of equipment such as camcorders or games consoles.
    Scart sockets 3 For easy connection to other A/V equipment.
    RGB Scart sockets 1 These scart sockets can accept picture signals in high quality RGB format. Connecting a compatible DVD player or digital box/adapter via these sockets will therefore result in a better picture quality. These scart sockets are included in the total number of scart sockets listed above.
    S-VHS socket Yes Enables a high quality connection to a video or DVD player with a corresponding output. Delivers a higher quality image by sending the colour and brightness elements down four separate wires.
    Fastext Yes The quickest way to access teletext information.
    On screen display Yes For easy selection of features.
    Child lock No
    Remote control Yes Enables you to operate your equipment from a remote handset
    NTSC playback Yes Allows NTSC signals to be played.
    Auto set up for easy tuning Yes Automatically tunes in and sets the channels at the touch of a button.
    Other Features B Picture grading Rated by the independent experts at What Video and TV magazine. Graded A-E (A being the best)
    B Sound grading Rated by the independent experts at What Video and TV magazine. Graded A-E (A being the best).
    B Connectivity grading Rated by the independent experts at What Video and TV magazine. Graded A-E (A being the best)
    2000 Page Teletext memory For later recall of text pages.
    NexTView Link to see and sort programme listings Synchronises the TV and video tuning systems, allowing easy recording and playback of programmes.
    Digital Video Noise Reduction Reduces static noise, improving image quality.
    Digital Comb Filter Eliminates cross-colour distortion.
    Dynamic Picture Control for ultra-sharp images Ensures a sharp image right to the edges of the screen.
    100 Channels Can be set to receive different programmes.
    £349.99 extra for TV/Video cabinet there is an additional cost for the stand
    16:9 widescreen switchable Allows widescreen broadcast/transmission to be viewed on standard 4:3 screen
    Pure flat screen There are 3 major advantages of a pure flat screen: Less on screen reflections, less distortion in the corners of the picture and you can watch these TVs from a much wider viewing angle.
    Digital Reality Creation (DRC) Digital Reality Creation is a unique Sony technology that improves the quality of your picture. In 100Hz mode it doubles the number of horizontal lines. In 50Hz mode it doubles the number of vertical and horizontal lines giving you four times the picture resolution resulting in a sharper, clearer picture.
    BBE Sound System Gives a more dynamic and faithful reproduction of live performances as well as crisper and clearer dialogue by compensating for phase delay and amplitude distortions then returning the corrected signal to the speakers.
    Built in Analogue Tuner The tuner is built into the TV so there is no need for a separate tuner box to watch normal TV broadcasts.
    Picture-in-Text Continue viewing TV in an inset box whilst accessing teletext information.
    Picture-In-Picture to view more than one channel View one TV channel whilst a second is displayed in an inset box in one corner of the screen.
    Built in clock Allows you to view the time while watching television
    1 analogue audio inputs Allows audio connection of external equipment such as DVD player, digital box, video recorder or games consol. this is a fantastic tv great picture on sky+ analoge tv dvd free veiw works like a dream on football also watch football dvds . set contrast to 60 brightness 25 coulour 60 sharpness 40

10. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Honestly - I wouldn't buy either of these. How much are you looking to spend ?

11. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doh!

12. emma129

emma129
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    who cares i spent 3 weeks reserching every revew trowled every tv dealer for the price off this tv i paid £970 pounds its a a fantastic picture bargain for a tv that came outlast year at £2000. you cant go far wrong a have had it 3 weeks now its a 10/10 tv it miles better picture than any plasma i veiwed and i veiwed lots from £1000 to £3000 the guy showed me 1 new phillips plasma that the dvd was left on in the shop for 3 hours £3000 pounds worth of tv burned ruined this tv suffers no screen burn the safe option ..SONY KF-42SX300U great tv .