1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which RP to get?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by General Panic, Jan 14, 2003.

1. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Help and advice please from any RPTV owners please.
    Up-grading from my JVC 32" CRT to a Rear Projection. Narrowed my choice
    down to the Toshiba 42wt29b , Sony KP44PX2U and what i think is a new kid on
    the block the Samsung SP-43J6HDX.
    All the techno babble has now totally confused me and our local retailer
    only has a cheaper Samsung on offer so i've no comparason on picture quality
    to go by.
    My budget could stretch to £2000 which should cover all the above but not
    enough i know for a Plasma so one of these ones or any others you guys own
    and can really recommend would be a great help to me.
    Thanks in advance.
    --
    X-Box Live Tag : General Panic
    "Nadir We" David Gemmell.

2. Blofeld

Blofeld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was in your EXACT position.Some Big protagonists for the Sony on this forum, and I have to say that is what I went for, hasn't arrived yet but ill let you know

Toshiba 29B is supposed to have a slightly soft picture, I must admit I have seen it and wasn't impressed, it just didn't leap out. The 23P, non-digital, 50 Hz, available for £1000!!! on the other hand has a fantastic picture, is cheap and has one countless awards. There is definitely something to be said for a more basic approach being more forgiving of dodgy sources.

Styling was what swung me in the end, the sony is gorgeous in the flesh, nice to look at even when switched off, and has an extremely bright picture, when set up correctly, the best I've seen after the toshiba.

If you want proper objective analysis, they are all reviewed in this months What Video Widescreen entertainment. Hope this helps.

3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blofeld said it all. I am on my 8th tv set. I had 2 panny rps and a tosh rp. I loved the tosh and thought nothing could beat it. It then went on the blink. I tried the sony px2. Was I glad i did. It leaves all the others behind as far as Im concerned. Chuffed to bits with mine and it aint gone faulty yet. A record for me:D

4. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, but I'm a Samsung fan - great value for money - first class connections, and a great picture, from digital sources at least.

The downside is no automatic WS switching - at least I can't get it to work - any ideas?

My 42" RP set cost just under £1,500 and looks and performs brilliantly.

Very good indeed...

5. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanx for all the input guys. Sony do seem to have the biggest following in the forum , especially the KP. Toshiba seem to win all the awards and sound good and reliable. Samsung is the only RP i have seen working and it looked stunning.
    Jim , can i ask what model of Samsung you have? Is it the 43J6HDX? The lowest price i have seen that at is £1900. It mentions in the blurb for the Samung "LCD 1.43 tube". It's the first time i've seen LCD mentioned in tech specs for Rear Projection. Is this something new? http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/shop2/rear/sam_sp43j6hdx.htm

6. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 42"Widescreen Samsung which my local Curries and Comet both stock at a little as £1200.

What's important is a good quality picture source and I check the convergence and 'perfect focus' settings about once a month to keep it in good nick.

Anyone who comes to the house is usually very impressed with the performance.

I don't go along with many of the reviews in the magazines - they can be a bit sniffy about Samsungs - try to see for yourself before deciding.

7. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I have a 44" Thomson Scenium, no complaints apart from when i first got it (ex Comet display 1K) the data modulator went(kept switchinbg itself on and then off) , rang Comet came out to see it, engineer rang Thomson, and I had a new TV the next day!!!

No problems since then. Love it!