Which router

Chrispick77

Novice Member
Hi all I'm currently with Vodafone for my broadband but would like to buy a different router as the WiFi in certain rooms are rubbish.
I've been looking at Netgear Nighthawk D7800 ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual band Wifi or similar ( under £200 preferably).
My only problem is I want to completely get rid of my vodafone router but apparently the netgear doesn't have a modem and I'd have to keep the vodafone router.
Could someone please help me pick a router with good range and can handle a heavy Internet usage.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I've got one of these and I have to say its been almost perfect for the last 5 years. TP-Link AC1900 (AC2300 I think is the modern version). Mine works out in the garden at the opposite side of the house which is quite a distance where it has to pass an interior wall, then an outside wall where the seating is at the opposite end of the garden (which is about double the length of the house). As for heavy usage, I have two rokus and built-in streaming on the TV where we are able to stream 4k without any issues to all devices. I didn't think it was possible, as my broadband isn't the fastest (only basic fibre (BT infinity as it was called) as I'm unable to get any higher speed), But we don't have nay drop outs what so ever and this is when everything in the house is streaming to the max via the router and trust me I've about 10 -15 devices from games consoles, phones, TV's, PC's etc and with two kids, trust me they hammer it

I still use my BT router as a modem and then pipe an Ethernet from it to the TP-Link and use everything from that. I also switched everything else off within the BT router as its was also so rubbish, I was unable to have two wifi devices connected to the BT router as it was so poor and as for it working upstairs, it was just as shameful

psychopomp1

Hi all I'm currently with Vodafone for my broadband but would like to buy a different router as the WiFi in certain rooms are rubbish.
I've been looking at Netgear Nighthawk D7800 ADSL and VDSL router with Ethernet + dual band Wifi or similar ( under £200 preferably).
My only problem is I want to completely get rid of my vodafone router but apparently the netgear doesn't have a modem and I'd have to keep the vodafone router.
Could someone please help me pick a router with good range and can handle a heavy Internet usage.
The Netgear D7800 definitely does have a modem built-in, its the R7800 model which doesn't. The D7800 is a high end modem/router router, you won't be disappointed with it.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
As @psychopomp1 says - a "router" that can do ADSL/VDSL definitely contains an ADSL/VDSL modem - terminating the ADSL/VDSL circuit is what the modem does. But there are modems and modems - you need to ensure that the modem is compatible with however your Internet service is provisioned. For example, an ADSL/VDSL modem would be no use if the service was provisioned on (say) 3/4/5G cellphone.

Personally, I wouldn't waste money on a "new router" to fix a Wi-Fi coverage issue. Wi-Fi transmit power is limited by law and most kit is, and always has been, at or very close to the permitted max. There's no magic "uber-router" out there with "much better signal" than everyone elses, no matter what the marketing hype says. If you check the specs, I'll bet they all say 20/23dBm (ie the permitted max.) It's so ubiquitous some manufacturers don't even bother to cite it.

Wi-Fi is a two-way radio "conversation" like walkie-talkies, not a one way radio "lecture" like television. Think of it like sound; I talk, you listed; you talk, I listen. Making one side of the conversation louder (even if it was possible) would not "fix" the transmission in the reverse direction unless you made that louder too.

The better solution for communicating peers that cannot "hear" each other very well is to move them closer together, remove physical obstructions between them or a combination of both.

For Wi-Fi that almost inevitably means putting up additional Wi-Fi hotspots in or nearer the coverage holes creating a "cellular" pattern - on big sites we put up hundreds.

A new router might give you a coverage improvement, it might be the same, it might be worse - it's a complete gamble. But, for more or less the same money, if you put up an additional Wi-Fi hotspot or two, you get a guaranteed 100% coverage improvement wherever you deploy the extra hotspots. It might even work out faster too.

The "trick" to this working well is how we achieve the backhaul link between the outpost AP's and the rest of the (wired) network. "Proper" wired ethernet is by far the best backhaul - fastest and most reliable - but you may to get the drill out. Backhaul is also possible using technology such as Wi-FI itself and Powerline comms to tunnel over the domestic mains, but they often perform less well than the gold standard of cabled backhauls.

This is a topic discussed regularly here if you wanted to trawl some old threads.

Last edited:

Chrispick77

Novice Member
Thanks for all your replies. Sorry mickevh I didn't read your post until after I bought a tplink ac1200 wireless mu-mimo vdsl modem router, which im now having trouble setting up.
Can anyone help?

psychopomp1

Thanks for all your replies. Sorry mickevh I didn't read your post until after I bought a tplink ac1200 wireless mu-mimo vdsl modem router, which im now having trouble setting up.
Can anyone help?
What issue are you having? Are you not able to select Vodafone as your ISP as provider when setting up? Maybe try a factory reset on the router and try again?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom