1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which router

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Complete Novice, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Complete Novice

Complete Novice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We need a router, specifically one that will enable the use of a games console online and the pc's to access the internet. We have a USB broadband modem at the moment but won't work for console gaming unless we have an ethernet card. All opinions welcome.

2. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That font looks awful!!! :suicide:

Right, glad I got that off my chest. I'm having fun trying to get a decent router. I first bought a DLink DSL-G604T. Router is fine but has a fault that won't allow you to use PS2 Online through it. As I'm a Beta trailist I kinda need to connect the PS2. I tried the Belkin (can't remember the model, it's this one http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...talogId=3151&productId=123048&clickfrom=name). Had loads of problems connecting it so took it back to the lovely Argos.

I've just bought a 3com OfficeConnect one now. Not tried the PS2 connectivity yet but now trying to solve VPN problems through it (connx keeps dropping) that were fine on the Dlink :suicide: .

Will I ever get a product that does what it says on the tin? I hope so. I never had these problems at my last house (good old Cable broadband) not this ADSL rubbish.

Hope this helps.

edit - ps. Sorry realised you are probably talking about a USB cable modem so I better ask the question are you on ADSL or Cable?

3. Big_Si

Big_Si
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree totally with Jackuzi about the cable modems being better but if you have a USB one that works personally i wouldn't bother with the hassle of replacing it and trying to set up a router as it can be tricky. I would be more inclined to buy an Ethernet card (dead cheap to pick up) for the PC and utilise the ICS (assuming you have a Windows version which supports it XP or ME). Its pretty simple to setup if take it slow.
    I have run two different setups with my Xbox and PC the first being running a crossover cable from the ethernet card in the PC to the Xbox which worked well for the gaming experience with the only draw back being you can only position you xbox a limited distance from the PC unless you run cables between rooms (untidy :nono: )

The second is a relatively new method of connecting up a network which involves using a device called a Wall Plugged Ethernet Bridge. It involves a system which you simply plug into your house electrical plug sockets and it uses your houses own internal wiring as a virtual extesion lead for your ethernet cable, allowing you to have several devices (PC, Laptop, Gaming Systems, Printers etc) linked together without the need for lots of untidy cable. Its dead easy to set up and a bonus is that it will support speeds of up to 14Mbps and as its actually hard wired you don't get missing packets in information as with a wireless network when the signal fluctuates - less lag for gaming. (Cheers Harrisuk)

These two links are for information on the kit i have found both for the UK 240v supply and the US 110v supply

UK this one (UK users don't be tempted to order the US kit just because its cheaper. It won't work on the UK electrical supply and could be a safety risk)

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/index.html

US use this one

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/XE102.php

I am new to it myself but what i see with this second method I like. Its worth considering even if you decided on getting a router as it would mean no cables. :smashin:

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    i've a mate(unkle faz) who has a netgear 834g router(non wireless) that he got from broadbandbuyer.co.uk for £55 which he swears by, and for that sort of price you can't really lose

oh, nasty font seconded.

5. Complete Novice

Complete Novice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad: Tried a belkin router as mentioned earlier in the thread (bought from the lovely argos). It's going back asap it won't work ( probs with all these IP and DNS numbers and all) the instructions are awful and phone support the same. Thought I would plug in the xbox connect to the phone line and try xbox live only for the console to say the DNS numbers may be wrong and also the router may not be compatible.
    I'd rather have my teeth pulled now than suffer the trauma I have now.
    By the way I'm connecting to the net on a BT line (ADSL)

6. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I have one of the new super fast belkin routers from pcworld £130 including a notebook adaptor. It is great it works everywhere in my house even at the bottom of the garden. It is different to the argos one but performs without fail, only connection drops was when my broadband was being upgraded!

7. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I use a Buffalo router and it works perfectly for me. It was also a piece of cake to setup and get working, even securing the network with data encryption. So far I've had 3 PC's (1x wired, 2x wireless) and my PS2 (wired) all simultaneously accessing online content. :D

I got the WBR2-G54S Wireless Cable/DSL Router and a WLI-U2-KG54-AI Wireless USB2.0 Adapter for one of my laptops. The other PC has wi-fi built in.

P.S. I have BB via cable NOT via ADSL

S.

8. jamesrickards

jamesrickards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to ADMIT i wont hear a bad word said against BELKIN, I brought a adsl wireless router from PC WORLD and the instructions were terrible- BUT there telephone HELPDESK was FANTASTIC! i was online with my wireless laptop within 10 minutes TOP STUFF! + LIFETIME WARRANTY cant be beaten! :D