Which Router

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by ydraiggoch, Feb 18, 2013.

1. ydraiggoch

ydraiggoch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times. However, my reasons for purchasing may be slighlty different.

I recently bought a Tablet (Galaxy Note) and found that this doesn't seem to work on my current Network (Belkin g type router). However, there are no issues when connecting to my Neighbours.

So I am convinced my Current Router is too old (7 - 8 years). I assume I should buy an 'N' Type?? I also see that some come with USB, which would be good to attach a Hard Drive too ala NAS Drive.

But what is the difference between the over £100 jobs and the £60 types. Would a typical user like myself (browsing, streaming & Occasional downloading) notice the difference?? I see that some run at 300Mbs whilst others are 900Mbs. My connection is only 6.5Mbs so surely 300Mbs is more than enough?? Probably a dumb question!

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/p...a=X&ei=A6MiUb6UIMmLhQfs9ICIDg&ved=0CFkQ8wIwAg

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007W16S...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B007W16SMO

Thanks in adavance

2. tvmcp

tvmcp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I've used TP link kit in the past, and have had issues with things locking up, but then again, most makes have issues with some kit or firmware at some point.

I've steered clear of Belkin for many years, as its always been the 1 make I could guarantee would have most problems.

I use the N66U, and have been doing so for 6+ months.

I would recommend it to anyone, its rock solid and the throughput on both wireless and fixed link is very quick.

You'll never get the actual speeds they quote on wireless, that just can't happen.

Heres a good review of the kit with comparisons.

ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Review - ASUS RT-N66U Wi-Fi Performance Testing - Legit Reviews

3. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    First, I'd be inclined to establish why your tablet won't connect to your network. While it might certainly be true that a new router may work a little better if you can't connect at all with the tablet it's much more likely to be security settings or something incorrectly set

As a starter see if you can temporarily disable all the security settings on the network and the router (remembering how to reset them again) so that the network is open to any wi-fi equipment. Then use the router, tablet and windows instructions to connect the tablet

I agree with tvmcp about TP and Belkin. I use a Billion router because of a long phone line. There are two bits in a router. The adsl modem to connect to the ISP through the exchange, and the wireless bit that transmits the signals round the house. If the first is poor it doesn't matter how good the wi-fi bit is

In practice, most routers on sale now will have N capability. But I still think you need to find out what is stopping the tablet connecting to the network first. If the router works for your other equipment it should work, however slowly, for the tablet so long as it is in the same room

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    I'd also suggest you check the max link rate of N your tablet will support (sometimes called it's MCS Index.) A lot of battery powered device "only" implement single RF chain designs which limits their max link rate. e.g 65mbps or 150 mbps. There's not much point buying (say) a 450mbps router if your wi-fi clients cannot utilise it.

There shouldn't be any issue with using an old "G" type router. G's been around for ages and is very well understood. It's literally half a decade since I last saw a device that got it wrong (I work for a college and we see thousands of wi-fi devices a year.) If other devices work OK with your existing G router, then there's no reason why your tablet shouldn't be able to too. If it cannot, that tends to indicate a problem with the tablet not your router.

Favourite old chestnuts are security settings - such as stations not talking compatible cipher settings, ie one talks TKIP and the other talks AES. Both need to be capable of one or other in common (though a lot of SOHO kit won't let you change it and really old kit don't support AES.)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  5. ydraiggoch

ydraiggoch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies!!

I should probably have explained my problem with the Tablet a little more clearly. The Tablet can connect to my Router and even give me internet access. However, when I try to go on 'more detailed' web pages the tablet struggles to load them! (Such as BBC News, & Catalogue type websites). However, as soon as I connect to my Neighbours Wifi and refresh the page, the site reloads instantly!!!

I will certainly check the security settings of my Router like you say. Hopefully that will be the answer!

Just out of interest (Dumb question alert!). Is the Asus RT-N66U Router a modem as well? Would I need to buy a new Modem if my current router was my problem?

6. whitestar96

whitestar96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi ydraiggoch, I'll second the N66U as well. It's not a modem but you shouldn't need to buy another modem unless your current router is also your modem. Who is your broadband provided by? If it's Virgin then you won't need a modem.

7. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Firstly, the router you describe does not have an internal modem. (the link you provide is also quite expensive)

ASUS RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I'm assuming you connect via a telephone landline in which case if you are buying a new router you may as well buy one with an internal modem such as

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-DSL-N5...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1361352360&sr=1-1

to save having two bits of equipment

I use the following and can highly recommend it

Billion BiPAC 7800N Dual WAN ADSL2+/Broadband Wireless-N Gigabit Firewall Modem Router: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

However, the fact that you can connect the tablet to the existing router indicates there is not a problem with security settings on the router otherwise you wouldn't connect at all

Is the difficulty in reloading pages on the tablet evident when you are within a few feet of the router?

8. charles_b

charles_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I can vouch for the Asus DSL-N55U, it was a toss up between it and the Billion that 961 has, and the price was almost equivalent (Asus is around £97 at Amazon now). But the Asus had a 3 year Warranty, and i wanted peace of mind for the most part. It's a fantastic router with the latest Beta Firmware on it, with lots of bells and whistles.

As far as the speed indicated by the router, that's LAN speed, not internet speed. It won't make your internet connection faster, but it will improve your own home network - everything that you connect around the home, as long as it supports the faster standards will get a speed boost.

There are other more budget options out there, your ISP may even give you a reliable (if not the most future proof) router for free or just the cost of P&P, but may tie you in for 12 months.

9. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    I "only" have a G wi-fi NIC in my laptop and don't have any issues with loading web pages: That's to say I doubt there's some fundamental "G-ness" issue making some pages load slower than others.

Maybe you're suffering from interference. Have you done a scan of the locale to see if there's a neighbouring wi-fi that's clobbering yours (see our wi-fi interference FAQ?) Maybe a change of radio channel will produce an improvement (and won't cost anything!)

10. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    ...or even someone using your wi-fi if you haven't got security settings on?

11. ydraiggoch

ydraiggoch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I was experiencing 'interference' or someone else using my connection, wouldn't this effect my Laptop too and even the TV which has internet access too?

I have just bit the bullet an bought the Asus DSL-N55U. Hopefully this will sort my problem!! I was looking at a NAS Drive, but with this router I can just connect my Hard Drive to it and have access to photos, films & Music etc.

So here's hoping

12. charles_b

charles_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
  13. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    One would tend to think so, though some devices are more "vulnerable" than others. A smart phone is the "classic" example as these have small antenna (and usually only one of them) and low powered radios and tend to try to be particularly misery with their energy usage to save the batteries, whereas a laptop top often has multiple antenna and more power available to use to "crunch" the transmissions and extract the useful data out of the noise.

Do let us know how you get on when the new kit arrives - it's always useful to have feedback for future readers,

14. ydraiggoch

ydraiggoch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Firstly can I say a huge thank you to all you guys who gave your thoughts. It really is appreciated.

So I installed my new ASUS DSL-N55U over the Weekend and it works a treat! No more crashing web pages on the tablet. Everything seems to be as it should. So I'm well chuffed now. Plus I can stream content from my Hard drive which is connected to the router too. So I can't moan.

This has now triggered an obsession for me in terms of networking my house. Lots of things to consider like moving the Router / HDD without losing speed. Which HDD to have running 24 / 7. I need to get researching.

Thanks again!!

15. Hochwertiger

Hochwertiger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For Cable I would say to an Asus RT-N66U worked vastly better for me. Ethernet from sky router to cable port on Asus then turn off the wireless on the sky (or dont having it on seemed to have little effect once all my devices were connected to the Asus). Now it does not drop out and crash like my sky router did for wireless even though I have more things connected to it now with kids nexus tablets and is infinitely better for my iPad streaming.

Here are the best prices around at the moment:

£114.98 Amazon
    £109.99 Currys/PC World
    £114.98 Dabs

Glad to see the Modem product above works really well also