1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which retailer?!?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by SUPANORM, May 20, 2004.

1. SUPANORM

SUPANORM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so I've basically decided upon the philips 32PW9618 but there is one last decision to take, where do i get it from.

These retailers have it at the same sort of price:
    www.DigitalDirectuk.com
    www.soundandvisiononline.com
    www.robertsons-online.co.uk
    www.digital-point.co.uk
    www.empiredirect.co.uk

Now I'm looking for some recommendations for any of these sites or any info to the contrary. If there is anyone reading this thread from either of these companies then you could always offer me a deal to swing my purchase your way.
    FIGHT FOR MY LOVE(custom).

2. noddingdino

noddingdino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about John Lewis...they price matched for me against Digital Point and you get a 5 year warranty to boot!

3. SUPANORM

SUPANORM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds quality.

I saw on their website about the 5 year guarantee, but nothing about a price matching policy. Also they don't sell this particular TV on their website and my nearest John Lewis is quite a trek away. You did it in store I guess?

4. Hem

Hem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I got my 36PW9618 from digital point, got a saturday delivery bunged in for free which helped sway me.

TV delivered without issue, well kind of - the supposed 2 man delivery never materialised. Guy rang me to ask if I could help, otherwise it would have to be dropped off another day as his "helper" hadn't turned up. Bit of puffing and panting, especially as this baby weighs in at more than I do. Worth it though.

Would definately have gone the JL route if they had stocked this set. Got an extra years insurance, including accidental damage, by using Nationwide credit card.

I may live to regret it but I just don't do "extended warranties" - unless of course they're free!

5. noddingdino

noddingdino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the TV i bought wasn't on their site either...I called the nearest branch (30 miles away) and asked if they stocked it...they matched the best price and agreed to deliver in a few days time - all over the phone...very easy! :clap:

6. SUPANORM

SUPANORM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm going to have to give John Lewis a try then.

If you don't try, you don't get.

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  8. SUPANORM

SUPANORM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the link, obviously i didn't look hard enough though I did find something interesting in their policy:

We do not price match, or accept refund claims, in respect
    of outlets which are not normal shops, eg membership
    clubs, market stalls, duty free shops, mail order catalogues
    or the Internet.

So I'm not sure how noddingdino managed it, he must be a real charmer or just lucky. But I'm still going to give it a go next week sometime i think.

9. noddingdino

noddingdino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    digital point is in fact...Electro Centre Ltd of 259-261 Soho Road, Handsworth, Birmingham... :smashin:

look here

very much bricks and mortar!

10. josereyes

josereyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just another point ..John Lewis don't hold the full range of TV's on the inernet - for example I couldn't find the PD30 - so a trip to a store or phone call will give you the widest choice. I have now rejected my PD30 due to it only being a week old and they are more thahappy to try another. I'm very relieved that I didn't get it from the Internet this time.

11. SUPANORM

SUPANORM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I think I'm going to give John Lewis a call Monday then.

Very interesting about Digital Point/Electro Centre, all the pieces seem to be falling into place now.

12. SUPANORM

SUPANORM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I rang my nearest John Lewis (Bristol Cribbs Causeway) today and they said that they could send the 32PW9618 direct to me for £1500(Jesus!). Then I mentioned Electro Centre/Digital point had it for about £932 with delivery, gave them their address and phone number and they said they would have to hand it over to another department who would then get back to me in the next couple of days once they had verified this price. Just hope they don't reject it just because Electro Centre/Digital Point have a website. Heres hoping.

13. noddingdino

noddingdino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no need to panic supanorm...that's exactly what they did with me... :clap:

14. SUPANORM

SUPANORM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I got a call back from John Lewis and they said they would price match it but because they don't have the 32PW9618 in stock they would direct order it from philips which would take at least 6-8 weeks.

Cant have my cake and eat it and don't know if i can wait that long or maybe even longer.

noddingdino just out of interest which store did you deal with and what TV were you after?

15. noddingdino

noddingdino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I started off at Milton Keynes, but when I came to place the order was told that I was out of their delivery area and had to contact Peterborough (which is miles further away...?!?!) - I wanted a 32" Panny PD30 and although they didn't have one in stock, suggested I would have it within 2 weeks...I'm hoping for delivery next week some time (as long as it comes before the football, i don't mind!).

16. GringoHairpiece

GringoHairpiece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just so you know guys this is another internet and bricks and mortar store that John Lewis will price match with.

http://www.tvandvideodirect.com/

Just got confirmation that they'll match the Mimo 32 I wanted so getting it for £1033 including delivery.

17. sparrow-07

sparrow-07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Which branch did you go to & what evidence did you have to give them, please?

18. GringoHairpiece

GringoHairpiece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sparrow, sorry for posting incomplete info here, I had put a longer description on another thread but failed to do so here.

I rang the Bristol branch at Cribbs Causeway, I live in Chippenham about 30 miles away. I asked to speak to the undersales team. Told them the name of the company, address, tel. no. TV model, price and delivery cost.

They said they would get back to me within 24 hours, which they did and I receive it next Thursday :)

The important thing is that the place you want them to price match with must have the item in stock.

Good luck

Gringo

19. SUPANORM

SUPANORM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dealt with Bristol Cribbs they agreed to take the £600 pound off of a 32PW9618 against digital-point but there was no way to get the 6+ weeks wait for direct delivery from philips down to a more reasonable time so I've gone and ordered it from www.digitaldirectuk.com meaning no 5 year guarantee, just hope I don't regret it.

20. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone knwo whether the JL guarantee is for parts and labour, or if its just parts? If its just parts, it could be quite a hefty labour cost??

Thanks

bigweed

21. SUPANORM

SUPANORM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah it covers both: http://www.johnlewis.com/info/guides/techwarranty2.asp

22. pany

pany

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    do you have to live within a certain distance of digital-point for JL to price match, or as they do tele-sales would i be covered living in east yorkshire?

23. SUPANORM

SUPANORM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it really matters how far you are from the shop you are price matching with as the John Lewis price match policy: http://www.johnlewis.com/jl_assets/pdf/undersold.pdf
    which Lynx kindly pointed me toward earlier in the thread states that they will price match against any UK Store as long its not solely an Internet trader.

Also they agreed to price match with Digital Point who are in Birmingham and I live in Somerset and was using the Bristol store. Although in the end the delivery time I would of had to wait I couldn't be bothered with.

24. SUPANORM

SUPANORM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At last it has arrived from digitaldirectuk, after a month even though I was told they had them in stock when I rang and ordered.

Got back from glasto festival yesterday to see the beauty sitting there and boy what a picture with LOTR:TT ext ed looking almost 3D in some places. Looks like I got a good one from what I've seen so far.

Just one thing, does anyone know what cable I have to buy to connect my DVD Dolby digital Out to my new 32pw9618 Audio In?

25. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    It will be a standard optical or co-axial cable. The shape of the socket will determine which - is the socket circular ?

26. SUPANORM

SUPANORM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an optical toslink cable which i thought would do the trick but only the female end fits the dvd player but the male end doesn't fit the TV. I think the TV end needs one of those metal male ends but I'm not sure really.

Oh and the socket on the TV is circular.

27. litkid_2000

litkid_2000
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    House of Fraser will also price match and give 5yr warranty.

In my experience HOF has always been much more helpful than JL. It seems people on this board always advocate JL for some reason :nono:

28. chrisbin

chrisbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for this tip.

However, tried it yesterday and my local HOF would defintely not give 5 year guarantee as well as price match.... :thumbsdow And they were pretty grudging in offering the price match...

Edited to add:

Tried to Contact John Lewis previously as 32zp38 that I'm after was not listed on their website. They advised not stocked.
    However, then had email back advising that they could obtain for me even though no stock. So I'm just going down pricematch route now.........

29. Atlanticist1

Atlanticist1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoke to John Lewis Newcastle this afternoon and asked them to price match against totaldigital.co.uk, and they said something about the PD30 being a "direct order" with Panny, and that because they get them direct from Panny, they probably won't price match.

The lady said she'd put it through anyway to the Undersales people, and wished me luck.

I'll find out tomorrow. If my local JL won't do it, I'll ring the Bristol branch and see if I do any better !!

30. SUPANORM

SUPANORM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to price match a Philips 32PW9618 with digital point at the bristol cribbs branch when they could only get it direct, but this meant at least a 6-8 delivery wait, which I couldn't be bothered with in the end.