1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which retailer for Denon buy?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Melter, Apr 7, 2005.

Tags:
?
  1. Empire Direct

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sound And Vision

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Digital Direct

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The three cheapest retailers of the Denon AVR-1905s (only £1 difference between them) all seem to be out of stock at the moment with no definite restock date, and I've been told when stocks arrive they'll be limited anyway. This makes me think prices might rise when the new stock arrives so I'm going to pre-order now just in case.

Out of the three (see poll) any thoughts on which provides the best customer service, especially if there are problems. Or if anyone's seen a better offer then I'm all ears. Thanks.

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    This is a personal opinion but I've had bad experiences with Empire Direct. If it were me I wouldn't use them.

3. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I bought a TV from Empire direct a few years ago... never had a problem with it but if I had I feel that I would have been screwed :( Personally I'd buy from a reputable online retailer or get a price from the net and go into a High Street store and haggle (most will try to price match) :)

4. nirvanahaven

nirvanahaven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mate dont use empire, ive used them three times and there have been problems everytime ! i know it's an extra £30 but try superfi....

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1962

its free delivery aswell.I buy all my hifi from here and it turns up the day after ordering without fail , they will fix it if for free if it dies within 2 years of the sale (varies on some items)

but it's up to you......good luck in getting it and enjoing denon's superior sound ! :thumbsup:

5. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I'd probably consider Superfi but I need to do this as cheap as possible, very tight budget I'm afraid.

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Out of those 3 I would go for Empire direct as I get a corporate discount from them :D

7. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi :hiya:

Have you tried asking Superfi if they will match the others price?

Just a thought :)

8. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Sorry ignore that last post. I doubt that Superfi (or any other retailer) would price match on a product thats out of stock.

9. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Sound & Vision and Digital Direct are the same company.

They can be ok, but many people (inlcuding myself) have experienced rude sales people and dodgy aftersales.
    I suggest you take a look at the returns policy on the internet... they certainly don't make it easy if anything goes wrong.

I'd personally try somewhere else. Have you tried one of the forum sponsors?

10. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I think Sound and Vision are out of the running if they won't collect faulty items without charging. Also in the t&c of Digital Direct it says they reserve the right to charge 2.5% on credit card transactions. Anyone had this charge applied, is it mandatory or just under certain circumstances?

11. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've usedEmpire to buy 2 TV's inc my Plasma my Mom has brought 2 Microwaves from them well actually the second one was Free after they told her to pick any one she liked after the first one packed up twice.They were brilliant with her delivered everything when they were supposed to and the aftersales was excellent. I too was worried about spending large cash with them my Plasma was £1700 but so far everything has been just dandy.

12. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course you guys could help me step up to a better retailer like Superfi by making an offer on some of my indie cds here :smashin:

13. Melter

Melter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Talk about frustrating. My very understanding wife agreed that it would be better to spend a few more quid and get if from Superfi for peace of mind. I have to say I'm very pleased with customer service so far, infowise, however I'm told no new stock is available until the end of April/ early May :(.

Having checked the cheaper places, listed above, earlier this month I know that they're all out of stock, that means that most places will have had nothing from Denon for a month or maybe more. Not good. Does anyone think it worth contacting Denon to see what they have to say?