Which replacement phone for Sony Z3C ?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by panman40, Oct 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
    Sorry if this has already been asked, my Z3C Sony is taking to long to repair, 21 days now and still no sign of the shipment with the component needed,
    Anyway my retailer is offering a refund for the hassle which is what I'm going to do.

I paid £379 for the Z3 but not looking to spend that much again. My requirements are

No bigger than 5" screen,
    Splash proof, ( I'm a gardener)
    Android,
    Good battery life as per the Z3c,

That's about it really. I was thinking about the moto g 3rd gen 2gb/16gb at £169 but I had a 2nd gen which I found bulky, slow and poor quality voice audio on calls, I don't know if the moto g 3rd gen is better ?.

Any tips appreciated thanks.

2. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
    Mmm, just looking at some user reviews for moto g and the new G4, seems they have reliability issues.

3. phonefan

phonefan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    To be honest you couldn't go far wrong with the Redmi 3S - Xiaomi Redmi 3S 32GB ROM 4G Smartphone and a decent case.

I had the Z3C and know how great the battery life was. The battery life on the Redmi 3S is on a totally different level, it's actually unbelievable how long it lasts.

I know buying from China has its own worries and pitfalls but Gearbest are generally one of the best Chinese retailers and you'd probably get receipt of the device within 3 weeks as a worst case, and you wouldn't get anything anywhere near as good for the price when buying in the UK.

GSMArena review - Xiaomi Redmi 3S review: Game of Iterations

4. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
    Thanks for that info, I never considered a Chinese purchase, to be honest I could do with a phone ASAP as this Samsung Windows I'm using as backup is a nightmare.
    I will have a read up, any pitfalls to a Chinese phone ?, I mean in setup etc,
    Thanks.

5. phonefan

phonefan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Chinese phones can have a varying level of requirements on initial set up, though most these days come in a state that you'd expect from a UK retail purchase. For example some don't have Play Store or have other apps installed.

The Redmi 3S that I mentioned is the International version so comes pretty much as you'd expect a UK phone to come. Worth noting that different import phones have their own implementation of Android. Some, such as Xiaomi Miui don't have an 'App Drawer' which may be a problem for you, but this can easily be resolved by installing a different 'launcher' such as Nova or Google Now.

If you needed a phone asap then really the options would be to buy a UK phone, or order a Chinese phone and get something like this for a stop-gap.
    Vodafone Smart First 7 - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5654640.htm it's pretty much a disposable phone that you can unlock very cheaply via eBay (if you're not currently on Vodafone) and if you buy from Argos using Fast Track you don't need to buy the £10 top up so would end up at £15 for the phone and £1 to unlock.

So I guess it's a matter of how much you're willing to pay, and whether you can be bothered to wait. Personally I wouldn't consider buying a phone at UK retail prices any more but I'm perhaps techy enough and willing to take the risk.

6. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
    Mmm, I'm tempted with that Vodafone cheapie, I'm on voda sim only so it should work, it would give me time to think about the Redmi.
    Thanks.

7. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
  8. phonefan

phonefan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yep that's the same device. If you're happy to pay the extra £50 for a quicker delivery and UK based seller it's still a reasonable price for the quality of the item.

Suggestions:
    - Discuss warranty/returns/replacement policies with the seller. Make sure you are getting value for the extra £50.
    - Read a few more reviews of the Redmi 3S to make sure you're happy with what you'd be ordering. My wife has one and gets on with it perfectly well, it's nothing 'out of the ordinary' but always best to read up on these things.
    - Last point, the Android version that runs on the Redmi, MIUI, is a little bit marmite and some people can't get on with it. Bear in mind that you could install something like Google Now Launcher and get a more generic Android experience Dramatically improve your Android experience with the Google Now Launcher | AndroidGuys

9. stevewestern

stevewestern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I too am looking to replace my Z3 compact - this has made me think hard. The X compact is what my local shop was pushing me towards, but it is just so cheap and plasticky...

10. phonefan

phonefan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The X Compact is not a bad device at all and is broadly speaking a general replacement for the Z Compact series (though perhaps a bit more midrange than mini flagship)

The bigger issue with the X Compact is clearly the price, if you're paying £350 for a phone you definitely don't want something that feels cheap

The Redmi 3S probably doesn't compare too well with the X Compact, but it is a third of the price.

Comparison of Sony Xperia X Compact, Xiaomi Redmi 3S Pro

I guess it depends on what your criteria are. Clearly there are no other options for a decent phone with a screen size smaller than 5 inches, other than an iPhone SE.

11. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
    I did email the seller, 6 months warranty but I didn't ask about returns etc, the Redmi sounds just what I'm looking for in a phone especially the battery but not having a 12 month warranty or the backup of an Amazon purchase I'm not very happy with £170, if I get one I will but the £117 one from your link, what's thier warranty / return policy like ?.

12. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
  13. phonefan

phonefan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Warranty and Return | GearBest.com

One year repair warranty stated.

I can't say I've ever had to utilise their return/warranty process but I guess the main thing to bear in mind is that you'd be responsible for shipping the device back to China which is probably going to cost £10 to £15 but again that's part of the risk/fun/gamble you get with buying from China.
    With Gearbest you can pay by PayPal for a degree of peace of mind and buyer protection.

14. phonefan

phonefan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've had mixed reviews of these, I think it depends on what you are used to but this wouldn't be any sort of upgrade from the Z3C or even a sideways move, it wouldn't be unfair to say it is inferior to the Z3C in every department.

But, it is generally rated as 'OK for the money'.

Battery is only 2500 mAh which is not great for a 5 inch phone.

15. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
    Yeah I just spotted the battery size, so is there anything on Amazon uk that would fit the bill ?, to be honest I would be more comfortable than spending over £100 from China, if anything goes wrong it could be weeks getting sorted.

I guess I'm just a tad cautious!.

16. phonefan

phonefan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've had a look at what you can get on Amazon Prime and I think the below represent the better choices available.

Honor 5C - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honor-Smartphone-Touchscreen-Octa-Core-EmotionUI/dp/B01GUVNTQY/

This is a pretty exceptional phone and bang for buck fantastic value, but maybe creeping towards too big for you at 5.2 inches? - review here Honor 7 Lite (5c) review: Lite and dark

Lenovo K5 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-K5-Dual-Sim-Smartphone/dp/B01EAUXE3U/

Not a bad phone. A bit cheaper and 5 inch. Review - Lenovo Vibe K5 review: Base line

Vernee Thor - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vernee-Thor-Smartphone-Android-Fingerprint/dp/B01FA47XP0

Spec wise very good value for money. I've not had any experience with this brand though so would recommend you read up before taking the plunge.

17. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
    Many thanks for taking the time to do this mate, I will have a look through those tonight after I get back,

The z3c was 4.5" I think, perhaps 5.2" would be OK,

Thanks again for your help.

18. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
    The honour 5c looks like a plan!, sold by Amazon to. Battery seems pretty good, I can use a good screen protector and rubber case and it should be fine I think.

19. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
    Well I've ordered the Honor 5C a case and screen protector, arriving tomorrow.

Looking forward to it!.

20. stevewestern

stevewestern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    ...and looking forward to hearing how you get on with it, and if you would recommend it !
    My wife needs a new phone, my daughter needs one, and I do too, so you are in a position of power here !

21. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
    Yeah no worrys, it's arriving tomorrow so by midweek I should have an idea if it's good or bad lol!

22. stevewestern

stevewestern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thank You !

23. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
    The Honor 5C arrived today along with a simple rubber case and a glass screen protector, i was most impressed with all 3 items, the phone is a bit larger than I thought but the screen is excellent, I think I will get used to its size.
    The packaging is top notch, it shouts quality, there's already a pre installed protection film on the screen.
    Went through a simple setup process and it's running very nicely, very swift and smooth, only thing I can't configure to my liking is the double screen tap to wake the phone ?.

Apart from that it's looking great for £149!!. Early days I know but I'm very happy so far.

24. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
    One thing that I miss a lot is the double tap screen to unlock feature , I wonder if it can be activated ?.

25. phonefan

phonefan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Unfortunately looks like it's not a supported feature - Double Tap to wake...

26. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
    Yes it looks that way, I'm worried about longevity of the lock button to be honest, a simple tap tap and the screen opens on most android phones I think.

I looked in the play store but some pretty bad feedback especially some which you can't uninstall which is very bad. Also they will use power I guess ?.

Apart from that and the fact it's a tiny bit wide for comfortable one handed typing it's a great phone and worth £149!.

27. phonefan

phonefan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Don't give up hope I guess. I have a Microsoft Lumia 950 as a work phone and a Tap to Wake feature was implemented recently so I guess it can be implemented as part of ongoing phone upgrades.
    Also, I had the Honor 7 which is an older phone (the Honor 5C is actually sold as Honor 7 Lite in some markets) and that had the feature so clearly it is possible with Honor hardware/software.

If you're on Twitter, @ukhonor is their UK representative and the chap who runs that account is always very helpful and quick to answer any questions.

28. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,566
    Thanks for that, is he on Facebook as well as I don't use Twitter ?. It would be a simple to have it implemented in a f/w I'm sure.

29. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +759
    Quite frankly I think Sony has lost the plot with the new Xperia X Compact. They had a real winning formula with the Z3C i.e. flagship specs in a smaller form factor. They have now abandoned this and taken the Compact down market????

I won't be buying Sony again.

30. phonefan

phonefan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ah, you've got me there as I'm not on FB :)

Looks like they might be on there as ukhonor though?