1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which remote should I get - confused!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Alexg, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

what would be the best remote to control all my equipment.

Panasonic PWD7 Plasma
    Panasonic Digibox (C)
    Pace Analogue receiver with positioner (C)
    Dell 4100mp projector (soon to be changed to a Panasonic PT-LC80)
    Sony STR-DB940 amp (C)
    Panasonic SVHS VCR (C)
    Sony DVD (C)
    Sony CD changer (C)
    Sony MD (c)
    Futronix P400 lighting control
    Sapphire Electric screen with RF remote control

I have been looking at the Philips pronto on EBay but there are a few different models and I'm not sure what’s the latest one & what is the best one to go for?

All the Equipment with (C) next to it is going to be in a cupboard, should I get a standard remote control extender kit with transmitters you put in front of all the equipment and then just one IR receiver outside and it repeats it to all the equipment, or can you get a remote that has these receivers with it?

Can I control all the above stuff with it? What about my RF projection screen? Does it have an RF transmission mode as well?

Any help/suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
    Alex.

2. jonrud

jonrud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Ive just got the Sony AV3100 and it brill I got it through Amazon.com £130.00 and worth every penny it will control 18 bit of kit. It does everything apart from making the tea and if it has not got the codes for your kit the learn setup is simple. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    See my replies here

Basically, you won't find any remotes that will learn an RF signal, such as on your screen.

You can get RF remotes such as Prontos or HTM which come with IR emitters you attach to your equipment in cupboards, but they do not LEARN RF commands. They only use RF to communicate with their own IR extenders

4. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks both of you for your replies.

Judgeing by the replies in the other thread, the TSU3000 is the same as the RU950, the TSU being the US version and he RU950 being the UK version of the above?

The TSU3000 is £135 buy it now on Ebay where as the RU950 is £215 from a UK website.

If I went with the US one, would the RF frequency be legal in the UK?

Thanks.

5. verwood

verwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an older Black & White Pronto and I love it. THe fact that you can completely design every aspect is fantastic; there are also hundreds of files to download! THe newer colour versions are even better.

You cannot go wrong with the Pronto, and regardless of which one you go for, it is impossible to make a mistake.

Hanve fun. :clap:

6. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Hi,
    I have the Sony 3100 model mentioned above. Great bit of kit. Available on Ebay in refurbished condition for around £50. Mine looks like new!

7. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the replies, very helpfull.

I think I'm going to go for the pronto as it has the rf transmitter and the infrared emitters which is essential for me as I am going to be hideing the gear in cupboards.

Couple of things I need to clear up now, if I went for a TSU model (US version) will this work on all my equipment made for Europe and will the RF frequency be legal in this country? Also I cant decide on the current TSU3000 or the older TSU6000 (the 6000 being a colour model)

Hrmm.

8. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alexg,

I'm facing a similar dilemma and having posted a couple of similar threads of my own, I think I now know the answers to your questions even though I don't yet own a universal remote!

Everyone else who uses the TSU models (US) in Europe seems to have no problems. The general recommendation seems to be to get the RFX-6000 (US model RF extender) if you are getting a TSU remote, but I think I’ve read that the UK models seem to work OK too (don’t hold me to this though!). Having said that, I plan on getting the TSU through one of the American websites (www.bluedo.com seems to be a favourite here and the price works out a lot cheaper than the UK) so I’ll get the US model RF extender there too as it’s cheaper in the US too (bluedo do combo packages).

Technically it seems to be illegal to operate the device in the UK, but that doesn’t mean it won’t work fine. I don’t think there are any “Remote Control Police” in the UK who go around investigating such crimes so I think you’ll be safe!

As for choosing a model, initially I’d thought I’d go for the 3000, but reading reviews (www.remotecentral.com amongst others here) the lure of colour and total customization is proving too much and I reckon I’ll now go for either the 6000 or the latest model the 7000. I think the fact that these are potentially hundreds of pounds cheaper via the US has made my brain rationalize this as being a better bargain?! I don’t know if the 6000 is actually older than the 3000 but feature-wise the 6000 has more I believe, as well as having colour. Also, the 6000 & 7000 come with a docking station/recharger. With the 3000 you have to buy it separately I think, although if you’ve got an older Pronto docking station it might well work with that according to what I’ve read here.

Like I said, I don’t own any of these (yet!) so anyone else, please correct me if I’ve got it wrong…

9. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I just wondered whether anyone had any joy getting a remote shipped from the USA. I never even thought of looking at new ones from America, I was just concentrating on second-hand ones on ebay. If anyone did find a site that was prepared to ship to the UK could you let me know which one and how your experience with them was?

Thanks a lot!

10. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I ended up getting the TSU7000 not long after my post above via bluedo. They were extremely helpful and provided great service. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Love the remote too.

11. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I got my TSU7000 from Bluedo also, very good service :smashin:

12. Sanj464

Sanj464
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did you guys have to pay any duty on these remotes from USA?

13. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Nope, no duty for me :D