Which remote/ir extenders

Cp2009

Standard Member
Reaction score
HI there looking to alter my setup a bit right i want to move my av amp and my sky hd box to the loft i know i can control the sky box with a simple magic eye but how do i do it for the av amp Was looking at buyin a logic harmony 555 remote so i can also use it with my wireless varilight dimmers i can run cables etc at this point because i havnt first fixed yet so can any of you reccommend me kit please
That is compaitable with
Sky hd Samsung box
onky0 tx sr606 amp
samsung led tv
and possible htpc when i build one lol
and a harmony 555 remote or can you reccomend another remote
I am a sparky to trade so prefer cables over wireless

Harmonys, like almost all universal remotes control only devices that are originally controlled by IR, and do not control any that are originally controlled by RF which is what I assume you're thinking of for the dimmers.
You could use a pair of proprietary IR Extenders with any IR remote to control IR devices out of line of sight.
Their first unit takes the IR, converts it to RF, and sends that to the second unit, which then converts it back to IR and transmits that to the devices.
The Harmony 900 and 1100 incorporate their own Extenders, but are in a high price bracket.
The 515 takes up to six devices and would be adequate for your system.
The 525 takes up to 15 and would allow for expansion of the system.
The 555 is the 525 with a couple of added features which are not widely used.

For a cable-based solution, Sonance, Russound and Xantech (available in UK, not available in CH) manufacture receiver - powered connecting block - emitter solutions. The emitter is only needed if a target can't take an IR signal from the block through a 3.5mm jack.

I'm using a kit consisting of the Sonance CR1 + CB1 (+ 2 unused E2's) + power supply, bought from my dealer.

Keene Electronics are a good UK supplier of this sort of kit.

If you are running coax cable for Sky HD using the redeyes to change channel. have a look at -
tvLINK®plus
You don't need the optional PSU as the Sky HD RF2 will supply power.
However, if you are only running the coax for the infrared, I would go with an RF solution such as Powermids from Keene.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom