Which Remote For Me?

Thomasoates

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, done a lot of searching but just wanted some up to date, specific advice on this.

Been setting up my AV system over last few weeks. First step into this really so hardly gone all out!! My current set up:

SAMSUNG 46 C750
Onkyo AVR 380 (effectively the 3305)
Sky HD
PS3
Xbox 360
Wii

Sick of having 3 remotes for tv, AVR and Sky. Would like to consider a Harmony Logitech perhaps, or another brand if that would be better.

Ideally want it to be as cheap as possible but with good features still. I like the idea of activities, that sounds great and much easier that flicking between the sources.

Understand PS3 Needs adapter, may look at that eventually. Xbox and Wii, not bothered about them.

Had looked at the 600 or 650 Harmony, seems good mix of value and feature. Just wanted other people's take on it.

Hi, and you've made a good start by realising the advantage of the Harmony Activities principle.
My recommendation would be the One, over the more basic models, especially as the makers' price has just fallen so that you should be able to get it below that: Harmony Remotes.

My concern is, at over £100 it seems to be a bit of an excess. I can't see what more it offers over the cheaper models given that I won't have more than 5 appliances.

Not sure I can justify over £100 for a remote.

It's been sold at £85 when the RRP was still £150 so it should be less than £85 now.
The touch screen makes a lot of difference but you'd be OK with one of the more recent more basic models without that.

Can you clarify how they actually work for me.

Say I have 'watch Tv' and press that. It turns on Sky box, TV and Onkyo system all at once right?

Once that's in place, will the programming of the remote automatically mean that channel control changes sky, volume changes Onkyo etc?

Correct about the selection of the activity sending the power-on commands, and it also makes the input settings for the devices if required.
Correct again that the buttons then control the appropriate devices, which you get to specify, though you can always change the specifications.
When you change to an activity with a different combination of devices any that are not in the new one are powered off, and the power and - if required - input commands are sent to any of the new combination that were not in the previous one.
The automatic settings can be changed if the user wishes, by reversing the default for devices that they are off when not in use, and for activities that they turn off unused devices - "used" here meaning "included in the activity".

logiciel said:
It's been sold at £85 when the RRP was still £150 so it should be less than £85 now.
The touch screen makes a lot of difference but you'd be OK with one of the more recent more basic models without that.

When you say recent more basic models, which ones?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom