1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which remote for 300D ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by karkus30, Sep 25, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I decided to get a remote control for my Canon 300D, but which? RC1 or RC5 do they both work, is there a difference between them ? Confused :confused:

2. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen them? The RC1 sticks onto the camera strap and the other one is small and circular in design - and £1 cheaper. The RC1 has instant shutter and a 2 second delay deature but the RC5 doesn't.

HTH!

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Cheers, thats clearer. I suppose, if you were taking a group shot, then the delay would give enough time to hide the remote so it doesnt appear in the picture. It would have little use with photography that required an instant picture for a fast moving subject and would be a bit annoying for low light shots. RC1 it is.

4. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    What do you intend to use the remote for?

If the digitals work in the same way as my film EOS 30, then the IR remote is only an extension of the self timer facility. This gives 2 drawbacks. Firstly, the camera needs to be placed in IR mode. If the shutter isn't fired within 4 minutes then the IR mode is automatically cancelled & has to be reset on the camera. Secondly, the IR sensor is on the front of the camera so can't be fired if the camera is pointing away from you. This is fine for taking self portraits but useless for something like wildlife. The alternative is the wired switch with an extension cable.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Anyone else care to comment. Its a bit late now as I have ordered the RC1. The intention was to use it like a shutter cable release, mainly for long exposure night shots, I could probably manage by pointing the remote at an angle to the front of the camera, but its not what I had in mind.

6. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    The remote switch is RS-60E3 but I don't know if the 300D supports it (connects to the camera via a 2.5mm jack plug). If it does, & assuming that you ordered the RC1 online today, it shouldn't be too difficult to amend/cancel your order either online or by phone first thing in the morning. Worst case is you can always return it within 7 days for full refund under distance selling legislation.

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I will give the RC1 a go, if it doesnt work out I shall bung it on ebay.

8. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    The RC-5 has a delay but not instant feature.. :smashin:

Will attach to your keyring unlike the RC-1 which you can attach to your camera strap.

Don't forget to use the little eyepiece cover when using remotes to stop any stray light getting in the viewfinder.

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Is this still an issue with modern cameras. I think the mirror usually seals off the path of stray light when it lifts up to allow the exposure to occur. Could be an issue with long exposures if the seal is imperfect.