1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Remote Control?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Widescreen Wiz, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Widescreen Wiz

Widescreen Wiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help.

I'm looking into buying a new home cinema controller to replace my Marantz RC2000 MkII. I can't decide between the Marantz RC5200 and the new Phillips Pronto NG RU950.

I've been told the Marantz is great, but has 2Mb of memory and the software can't be used with Windows XP.

But then the Phillips, I hear, is prone to a few bugs and is not as reliable but has 4Mb memory and 16 shades of grey. Can the software be used with XP?

Still can't decide. Pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

2. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wiz,

I believe the Marantz and the phillips are basically the same RC...both fromn the pronto line.
    Only the Marantz is a 2 MB version.

3. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The Marantz RC5200 and the Pronto RU950 are actually quite different. The Pronto has a new (non-CCF) file format which is incompatible with any of the Pronto-family remotes before it.

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

The RC5200 works fine under Windows XP for me (it is "not supported" - ie you can't get technical support - but it is not "non working").

Besides, it is only the ProntoEdit software which may have an issue with XP. I would strongly recommend using Tonto instead anyway as it is much better software.

The RC5200 has the advantage of built in rechargeable batteries and docking station - both of which are optional extras for the new Pronto.

The 16 shades of gray are no big deal to be honest. A well designed CCF looks just fine on the RC5200.

Finally, the 2MB memory on the RC5200 is more than adequate. I have the following gear on mine:-

Philips WS TV
    Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector
    Toshiba SD220 DVD
    TiVo
    Sky
    Marantz SR5200 Amp
    Pioneer CLD-2950 Laserdisc
    Sony DAT
    Teac Tape Deck
    PC
    Sony 14" TV
    X10 for the garden lights

**and**

A SuperNudeList database of all my MP3's (over 200 screens worth).

I still have 27% memory free !!!

Steve

5. Widescreen Wiz

Widescreen Wiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

Many thanks for that. I've just about concluded that 2mb would be plenty of memory.

Tonto? Never heard of it. Where can you get it?

Cheers, Wiz.

6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

You can get tonto here.

It is excellent. In particular, I would recommend that you use Tonto whenever you need to capture IR. Unlike the ProntoEdit software, it make sure it recieves two identical codes before storing the learned IR. This prevents you from accidentally learning duff codes.

Steve

7. Widescreen Wiz

Widescreen Wiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

Got it. Thanks mate.