1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which REL?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jmlane, Mar 9, 2001.

1. jmlane

jmlane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a demo of a Strata III today (or yesterday - it's quite late), I would have liked to have heard the Storm but it wasn't available.

What I would like to know is if I should splash out the extra cash for the storm, what extras should I expect?

I suggested this to the assistant and he thought maybe the extra was too much for my system is he right?

I've got:
    Sony 940 amp
    Pioneer 636 DVD Player
    Yamaha NS-200 Fronts
    NSC-200 Centre
    NS-100 Rears
    32" widescreen TV

I will eventually be buying a dedicated CD Player (Arcam CD72 or better) and maybe a stereo amp.

Thanks.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have listened to many subs.

The Big MIRAGE (£1300) was good, but too sensitive on its auto-off ciruitry and needed a V.High volume to kick in.

The REL Q200E was superb, very compact, great for Home Cinema, not so good for music. Tended to rumble on a bit, due to long throw driver.

Best of the bunch was the Q400E for me, okay it is a £1000 buy, but it was tight, responsive and delivered superb depth, slam and precision in a managable size. Worth every penny!

------------------
    Get back soon....

3. jmlane

jmlane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's very good but I'd like to know about the Strata and Storm, please read my original post.

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I had a REL Strata III and was a bit disappointed that I didn’t go for the Storm. The Storm is a much better sub, especially for DVD’s I thought. As for the assistant’s concern that the REL’s will be outclassing the rest of your kit, then yes, he’s right. But at least you will have the wherewithal built into your system for when (or if) you upgrade the rest of your kit. Personally, I think that the Q200/400 subs aren’t nearly as good as the “ST” series. Go for the storm, if you absolutely, positively, want a REL.

Russell