Which Region will be the best ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by foxmeister, Oct 25, 2002.

1. foxmeister

foxmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As of next week I will be connecting my Toshiba SD-520E (Multi-Region) to my new Hitachi Plasma by using component cables.
    My only question is which Region DVD (1,2,4) will produce the best picture quality ??
    I would appreciate any response and a brief explanation as I've always been puzzled by this ??!!
    Thanks alot ... Foxy.

2. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can quite happily state, without fear of contradiction, that out of Regions 1,2, and 4. The region that will produce the best picture will be 1,2, or 4.

Beyond that, it's impossible to say.

In theory R2 or R4 will be better due to there being more scan lines (625 as opposed to the 525 of NTSC), but this is no guarantee that the picture produced will actually be any better.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,962
    Agree. There is much more difference in pic quality from differing standards of digital mastering, than there is between one TV standard and another, or between one region and another.

And there are other issues, too (some of which you may not care about): censorship, extras, soundtracks, etc.

The only way to tell is to look at a good comparison review site and make your choice there.

www.dvdcompare.org.uk compares mainly disc contents and censorship issues, but rarely (unless anything is VERY wrong) touches on image quality.

www.michaeldvd.com.au on the other hand does in-depth reviews and comparisons between R1 and R4 (it's an Austrailan site), with occasional reference to R2. They cover all aspects of the discs in detail.