1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which region Terminator?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by adamhamilton, Apr 9, 2001.

1. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which region is best for Terminator SE?
    I want a version that isn't cut, i.e. you see all the gore when Arnie punches the guy in the stomach :)

Cheers,

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both R2 and R4 are uncut. R4 has better (proper) packaging not cardboard.

3. DaveG

DaveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just wondered how come my original VHS copy is 18 cert while the DVD is 15 cert. Has it been cut in some way or just re-classified??

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DaveG,

It was re-classified at the lower level when the film was resubmitted. This does happen on occasion. It is uncut.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    DaveG,

Whilst Jenz's explanation was okay, this might make matters a little clearer.

When some films that were previously submitted to the BBFC, they were classified for home video viewing, in 4:3 screen ratio prints, as "18's". Titles included "The Terminator", "The Last Temptation Of Christ" and "Papillon". However, when the film distributor's have resubmitted the films for DVD release, they have actually submitted a new print, which is more than likely a widescreen version of the film. Partly due to modern film censorship standards, and also due to what is or isn't acceptable to modern-day audiences, these films have been considered to be certificatable at "15", and still remain uncut.

The fact that these three films were released on DVD, has also aided the re-classification decision.

However, if these same titles are re-submitted in their original 4:3 home video prints, (which is what happened to "The Terminator") and the film was previously classified as an "18", then the original certificate can not be decreased or overturned. This is why the recent rerelease of "The Terminator" has a "15" on DVD and an "18" on home video. Neither version has been censored, in any way, shape or form. Had the distributors sensibly submitted the same widescreen version of "The Terminator" to be considered for both DVD AND video release, then the video would still have had to be classified as an "18".

I hope this makes the matter a little clearer for you. And apologies to Jenz, for I don't want you to feel that your explanation wasn't valid, because it was. I have only elaborated on what you said.

Pooch

6. simes

simes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    R4 is the one to go for seeing as its cheaper than the R2 even including shipping half way round the world ;)