Which Region PS3??

Cluelessjock

Standard Member
Having decided to bite the bullet and opt for the PS3 I am now unsure which region to get. Would I be better with a US player as there seem to me more titles available in the US and if so are they (consoles and DVD's) readily available in the UK? Will the US version play standard UK DVD's?

Or is there an alternative option?

Thanks for the anticipated words of wisdom.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Good question, there are several issues.

Blu-ray: region?
PS3: games region?
PS3: Software version?
DVD: region?
DVD: NTSC or PAL?

At least they all take 120 & 240V.

Nick :confused:

aniki

Having decided to bite the bullet and opt for the PS3 I am now unsure which region to get.

Hi,

For SD DVD standard region restrictions apply.
All PS3 games are multi-region, but PS2/PS1 games arent, so that would depend on whether you have a back catalogue.
Blu-Ray discs - Some are Multi-Region some arent.
UK machine will have a warranty, less likely with an import.
US & JAP machines have a hardware based 'emotion engine' which enables very good (90%) compatibility with PS1/2 games. Europe/UK models have software based engine which is 'allegedly' only compatible with about 50% of PS1/2 games.
As Nick says, voltage is universal regardless of which sticker they put on the console.
Think that covers all bases, the choice is yours :smashin:
-
Sorry I cant give totally rock solid advice. I bought a Jap model for the sole intention of playing a game which is still being written. Other than the odd borrowed disc, mines been mainly gathering dust for three months :rolleyes:

Cluelessjock

Standard Member
Hi,

For SD DVD standard region restrictions apply.
All PS3 games are multi-region, but PS2/PS1 games arent, so that would depend on whether you have a back catalogue.
Blu-Ray discs - Some are Multi-Region some arent.
UK machine will have a warranty, less likely with an import.
US & JAP machines have a hardware based 'emotion engine' which enables very good (90%) compatibility with PS1/2 games. Europe/UK models have software based engine which is 'allegedly' only compatible with about 50% of PS1/2 games.
As Nick says, voltage is universal regardless of which sticker they put on the console.
Think that covers all bases, the choice is yours :smashin:
-
Sorry I cant give totally rock solid advice. I bought a Jap model for the sole intention of playing a game which is still being written. Other than the odd borrowed disc, mines been mainly gathering dust for three months :rolleyes:

Thanks, I guess I should have said I want it mainly as a Blu Ray player so gaming and compatability with PS1/2 is not an issue.

Naqv

Get a US one as you have said that Blue-Ray is your main concern. There are many more US titles and they are cheaper.
However, if something goes wrong, however minor, you can kiss your PS3 goodbye, as sony will not repair it here in the UK.

Its a tradeoff, are you willing to risk it?:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom