Which recorder to buy??

Y

yatesd2404

Hi All,

Am looking to buy a DVD recorder in the next few months and wondered if someone could answer a few questions and maybe offer advice.

I like the idea of time slipping so HDD essential as don't want to really get into DVD-Ram. Would want to spend about 500 pounds but guess I could stretch that if I had to.

Questions

1) Can any of the current models control Sky so that you can set it to record multiple channels and have the recorder changing Sky channels at the appropriate times?? Sure there is some fancy name for it!!
2) I have looked at present models but have no real knowledge of anything coming out in the future. Anything I should be waiting for??

Basically, any advice would be great,

Thanks,

Dave.

If you want time slip you get -ram as it is the same technology. You hardly ever use -ram though if you have a hdd, as all archiving is done to -r, which is more compatible anyway than +r.

In theory the panasonic can be set to start and stop when the digibox autoswitches using the epg. However in practice the timing isn't reliable enough and when you add the minute or so to start the recorder you would get very frustrated missing the start and end of programs.

I always set both up seperately, but as most programs are on for several weeks you can set it up to do the whole series at one go, both on the panasonic and in the digibox epg if it has a series link.

THe panasonic hs2 is a bargain at the moment at under £600

I like the idea of time slipping so HDD essential as don't want to really get into DVD-Ram
At the moment there is only one HDD/DVDR combo that is not a DVD-RAM machine - and that is the Pioneer 5100. Although un-reviewed yet it does look as though it is going to be a top machine - it has Timeslip on the HDD and DVD-RW disks. It's only letdown is a lack of RGB in (which prevents you making the best quality recordings from Sky - although don't doubt you recordings will look superb).

There are some new HDD/DVDR combos coming soon. February is seeing the launch of a JVC model (that does DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD-R) and March a modified version of the Toshiba RX3 (again dual format: DVD-RAM, -RW and -R). Sony is due a HDD/DVDR combo out later in 04. Sharp will be releasing a HDD/DVDR combo (DVD-RW/-R) late 04 (this will have Timeslip on the HDD only).

As for new developments: USB connections (for interface with online TV Guides), WiFi connections, improved DVD-Audio/Windows Media Video playback will all be seen next year. The core functionality will not change excessively though.

I agree with Kenfowler though - the HS2 is a fabulous bargain at the moment.

The Panasonic HS2 is a very good machine. Been using it for a good 6+ months now.

If you don't want to add Sky+ into your system,and as the proud owner of an HS2 and a Sky+,I can vouch that Sky+ remains the easiest and optimum way of recording Sky Digital(20 hours at broadcast quality),then an HS2 is best.The HDD will be useful for Timeslip,but remember a key advantage of Sky + is watching one channel while recording another.The HS2 HDD has at least 9 times the capacity of a RAM disc,making Timeslip on a RAM very limited.Like they say above,at £599 delivered,the HS2 is hard to resist-I couldn't.

Thanks for the inputs guys.

So, seems like the concensus is that the HS2 is best for me. Would like to do Sky+ but I am actually in Germany, and (coughs quietly!!) not officially supposed to have Sky at all so don't want to change original details in UK.

Looked at the HS2 in a shop here the other day and was still selling for 1399 Euros (around 850 pounds) so as you say 600 is a bargain.

Now I know that there is nothing major changing in terms of functionality and standards maybe I will try and pick one up now.

Cheers,

Dave.

Okay found it online at 545 pounds in the UK and a place in Germany for 570. Just trying to convince myself to go for it now and not wait a month and see what happens to the price. I know too tight for my own good.

I keep going back to the reviews that raved about it when it was 1000 pounds and itch to pick up the phone.

Anyone help me out there.

Cheers,

Dave.

You need to check that they are compatible with where you live. I am almost sure that the tuner/sound required for germany is different from the uk. Whilst it will still record from an av input, you would find it quite limiting if the sound is missing on the terrestrial channels.

Anyone who records from analogue anymore does not deserve an HS2.

Why is this?
Because your not getting the best from the machine. Recordings from the Scart RGB in look awesome - after you've seen that anything else looks second rate.

I often record from analogue for routine programs, it is much easier to set up and allows others to watch the digibox.

I always record from the digibox though if I want to archive to -r

Because your not getting the best from the machine. Recordings from the Scart RGB in look awesome - after you've seen that anything else looks second rate.

That is why I just bought a Phillips DTR1500 and very good it is. I also have a IDTV so can record digital and watch digital or record two digital programs at the same time.

Surely that is only 2 Freeview digital channels together though.
On the analogue front,I too record if its watch and wipe only and Sky+ is recording already(dual recording-where are you?)buts its pretty ghastly viewing.No widescreen,less than perfect pictures,and most of the time,that seriously annoying 14:9 mode they use

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom