which recorder ideal for sky+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by raigraphixs, Apr 13, 2004.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,401
    Hi,

Can anyone recomend a dvd recorder for sky+, as I have almost filled up 4 pages!.

And i dont have time to watch everything, so need to archive films, shows, off.

It does not need a harddrive, but one that can store the most hours on a dvd.

Also fast at burning. Price 300-600

Important;

Also, I assume i would have to play, and watch, or leave the room, whilst i am burning to dvd ?, what i mean is that i cannot watch something else on sky+ while it is playing and burning onto dvd???.

That brings the question is if i have time to burn it to dvd, and cannot change channels, I might as well watch it and save on buying a dvd recorder?.

any advice would be cool.

rai

2. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    rai,

As you can only output one stream from Sky+ (I.e you can only watch what you are transferring to DVD), a Hard Drive DVD Recorder is ideal.

With this, you can use the Sky 'copy' feature to copy multiple programs onto the Hard Drive of the DVD Recorder, then edit out the ad's & Sky's padding at start & end of the program and dub to DVD the next day.

Hook up the DVD so you also have another of the Sky+ Outputs directly to your TV and you can watch Sky whilst doing the Dub....

As for which Recorder, I'll leave that to others. I have the Panasonic HS2 and it's an excellent compliment to Sky+ in my opinion....

No fast burning on it though, everything I do to DVD-R is as sinlge speed, but I don't find it an issue with using the overnight copy :)

3. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,401

Hi,

Do all dvd recorders have the facility to edit out adverts?, if not, what should I look out for.

editing?, maybe.

What other features are handy?.

ta

rai

4. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you go for a recorder without HDD, editing becomes more of a pain, as effectively, all you have is a DVD based Video.

Unless you plan on editing on a PC, or use an editable RW (or RAM) and play that in a player to record onto a DVD-R (phew).

This is getting too technical for me :)

I would presume all HDD DVD Reocrders will have editing abilities. The Panasonic range certainly do, and I can't see any other model missing this feature....

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panny's E85 or Pioneer's 5100 are the best options.Both give large storage capacity in high quality-large scale dumping onto dvd is not realistic.Both machines have high speed dubbing.I would vote for the Pioneer as it offers -RW which allows for editing or compatibility in other machines.

6. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've used the Toshiba RDXS30 for about a year now and works very well with Sky+. Not the largest HD but fine for me. Very good at editing as well.

Panic