1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Recorder for Sky+ & Digital Camera?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Phil.LFC, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've got Sky+ on order at the moment and have just bought a Sony digital camera.

I have Sky now and really like the EPG, so Sky+ seems a great way to do general day to day recording.

I will use the DVD recorder for archiving, and for transferring camcorder footage from my digital camcorder. Not too fussed about much editing, just basic stuff.

I'm thinking of going for the Panasonic DMR-E60 or the Philips DVDR75 as these have i-link, and are both around the £300 mark multi-region.

The Sony digital camera now throws a spanner in the works! I would like to be able to connect it to the DVD and record the images straight to DVD disk, but I have no idea how you do this - if you can at all.:confused: Do DVD recorders have any editing facilities for still and moving digital footage?

I presume I'll be able to transfer from Sky+ to DVD easily enough. For a similar price I suppose I could have gone down the DVDR/HDD road but hey, aren't seperates supposed to be better!;)
    :rolleyes:

2. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ is simply excellent, I'm sure you'll wonder how you lived without it.

With the DVD recorder the first question is do you want to be able to share your recodings or play them on other DVD players. If so I would recommend the Philips route because DVD+RW allows basic editing which is compatible with other DVD players. The Panasonic machines with DVD-RAM have much better editing facilities but the RAM discs are unlikely to play in other players. If you could stretch your budget to a HDD based machine then you have the possibility of editing your footage on the HDD and then copying the edited programme to DVDR for playing on other machines.

There are also DVD-RW machines available now but they do not allow editing on the DVD-RW in video compatible mode which will play on other machines.

Alternatively you could record to your DVD recorder and then do your editing on a pc if you buy a DVD burner. These can be got for under £100 nowadays.

Recording from sky+ is simplicity. Make sure you connect the DVD recorder to the TV output of the Sky+ box and not the Video output and set Sky+ to give RGB output. This will give much better picture quality but RGB is only available on the TV output..

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panny E60 has a card slot that will take memory card in an adapter and allow you to veiw/archive pictures to DVD media as well as linking camera directly.
    The Ram disk also gives you the oppertunity i think depending on sky+ to record to hard drive and ram at the same time ie record 2 programmes.
    A Ram Burner on a PC would be the icing on the cake!!!

4. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have Sky+ any DVD recorder will allow you to do that!

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A HDD/DVDR combo would be the best bet for camcorder archiving.Using an HS2,you can place all your raw footage ,up to 17 hours at perfect quality,then you can edit to your hearts content.You can split the sequences up,or if you copy over in a rush,you can reorder them,play them back in different sequence,and split them into nice neat 2 hour segments ready to dub over to dvd-r with no loss of quality.A DVD+ machine offers VERY BASIC editing-ie.sit and hold the pause button,FF your pictures and off you go again.Although the HS2 is £549,if you plan to edit camcorder stuff regularly you will enjoy iy.You already know the freedom HDD gives with Sky+

6. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a little bit better than that!!! You can insert and hide chapters but this is almost certainly not good enough for editing camera footage. If you bought a PC DVD burner (now about £80 at Dabs) you could do all your editing on the PC with some wonderful editing packages and buy the DVDR75 and still save yourself at least £100 on the HS2.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    that assumes a PC desktop though, a laptop or mac owner would have issues ok firewire DVD burners are availeble but for not much less than an E50!

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    If your going to go down the PC/Set-top route you are better off with a machine like the Panasonic E60. The lack of a flexible record option on the DVDR75/80 means that if you want to maximise the quality of your recordings by using the highest possible bitrate then you would need to use a re-encoding programme. And to get a decent one it costs in the region of £50-£100. If your consider this route take alook at the authoring guide included within the sticky thread "DVD-RAM (inc DVD VR Mode) To DVD-R". The E60 has the advantage of having a PC Card/SD Slot enabling you to view digital camera images and copy them to DVD.

If RAM is unsuitable then similar results can be achieved using DVD-RW. The Pioneer 3100 for example offers a powerful machine to use with a PC (especially if you have a Firewire card on your PC as it has iLink In/Out). There is also the JVC and Sony GX7 - both models with pros and cons.

Certainy though for long term quality archiving the DVDR75/80 is inappropriate - they are designed as timeshifters only. Also if your considering the PC burner option as well you would be seeing yourself off for features if you opted for a + machine without getting any real benefit back (compatibility being a bit of a non-issue if your using a PC to convert everything to DVD-R). I agree with previous comments though: if you can afford it get the HS2 (which also has a PC Card slot) or a HDD/DVDR combo (just from the huge benefits these bring) and if you can't get an E60/PC DVD burner.

9. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I do similar things to Phil. Record off Sky and from DV.

And I do it this way.

For Sky movies etc I put my recorder into record pause (Sony GX7) and then start the movie just before the start. I then press record as the main title is about to start. Hey presto proper movie on DVD-R.

For DV I correct any mistakes I've made on the camcorder itself prior to archive (ie by rewinding the mistake as it happens and redoing) so again I need no editing.

As such I consider that any decent DVD recorder would do.

10. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Wow, thanks for the info. I'm now more educated AND confused!

I think I'll have to decide how much editing of camcorder footage I want to do. At the moment I just copy the lot to VHS then FF the crappy bits when watching. Perhaps I'd be more adventurous with a decent bit of kit. This would point to going for a HDD/DVDR. This would be above my budget at the moment but if I wait (and save) until after Xmas then it may be possible.

My other option would be to just get the simplest DVDR (with i-link) and copy direct to DVD. This I think would probably be adequate for my needs.

Do I really need a HDD/DVDR combo in these circumstances (ie. with Sky+) ?

Oh well, time to read some more reviews and comments on DVDR's and HDD/DVDR's.!

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    For DV stuff an HS2 is superb especially if you dont fancy PC route or on camera editing! The cost has dropped to a piont where it is superb value for money and with HS2 and Sky+ you can record 2 programmes at the same time to HDD then burn to DVD-r or Ram surely this has to be the ultimate way to go (or with pace twin if you dont have sky!)

12. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Sounds pretty good. I'll keep an eye on HS2 prices. Do you reckon prices may drop after Xmas?
    Also, is the HS2 a recent model or is a replacement model in the pipeline?

13. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HS2 has recently been replaced by the E100 although this sells from about £800 to £900, it has a larger HD and a few more bells and whistles - I believe the HS2 is now discontinued but you can still get it at a good price (mid £500's)
    Regards

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HS2 is still a cuurent pannasoic unit but the E100 does have larger HD depends on budget but a MR HS2 for £500 ish is superb.