Which Receiver

ShaneyB

Standard Member
Hi guys, hope you're all safe and well.

I'm looking for a good receiver to give me 4k (8k?) and don't know where to turn. The guy who usually does my installs has moved away so I'm looking for some advice. If I'm honest I haven't been too impressed with the Denon kit since I got it 6 or 7 years ago, particularly the Blu Ray player.

We're not enthusiasts but just really want to make the most out of the kit we have. Also considering a new TV 55 or 65" so any suggestions on that front would be appreciated. No real budget restrictions but this is for general TV/Sky Movies usage.

Current setup as follows:

Samsung 55" 4k Curved - Sky 2TB HD - Denon AVR 19212 Receiver - B&W PV1 Sub - Denon DBP 1611UD Blu Ray Player - Definitive Mythos Solo L/C/R Front - DLS IW426 In Ceiling Rears - Sonos

Thanks in advance and have a great Christmas.

gibbsy

Both of your Denons are old units and things have moved on somewhat, especially with the AV amps and Denon have completely dropped out of the player market except for CD and SACD players for stereo music only. The DACs and processors in the new models are superior to that found on the 1912. Knowing the model number then for a fair comparison I would say it would be the current Denon X3700. It is hard to make a recommendation with out a working budget and whether you expand to an Atmos speaker layout which would mean moving the Sonos surrounds out of the ceiling.

If you don't want Atmos and keep your current speaker layout which at the moment isn't conducive with Atmos the Denon X2700 would fit the bill. Both receivers would cover you for future 8K but is really only needed by gamers as there is no content for film and TV and very unlikely you will see that performance from streaming or terrestrial in the near to medium future.

As for TVs the if you want the best PQ then that going to be an OLED from either Panasonic or LG. As for players again this is down to whether or not you wish to buy 4K titles as the TVs will do an excellent job of upscaling 1080 to 2160.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom