1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wbessada, Dec 23, 2003.

1. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all, I'm looking for a not too expensive A/V receiver that does video upconversion (mainly s-video to component), component video switching and around 100W per channel.

The one I've seen so far is the Denon 3803 which is a bit more than I'd like to spend.

Do any of the Yammy's upconvert?

Also I need to hook up to a projector and a plasma so anything with dual component outputs would be great.

Hope I'm not asking for too much for my budget - I'd be more than happy to go with a used one in case anyone has anything suitable for sale.

Cheers,
    William

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're asking too much for your budget :D. The 3803 would be a minimum to obtain what you're looking for.

3. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Dimmy - I might have to put a WTB in the classifieds!:laugh:

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    The main other rival would be the n ew Yamaha RXV1400 which is about the same price at £800. As Dimmy has said you're asking too much for your budget, maybe wait a few years and then it'll be standard.

5. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
  6. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the help guys, looks like I'll just have to up my budget or wait for a 3803 to come up in the classifieds.

Yammy RX-V1400RDS looksl very interesting - definitely one to investigate further - does anyone know how this compares to the 3803 in terms of sound quality?

Cheers,
    William

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rxv1400 is excellent, not heard an 3803 yet but if the 3802 is similar then the yamaha pips it at the post for me.

8. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    wbessada

I have to be honest and say that I initially posted on AV (following purchase of PLV-Z2 projector and Denon DVD2200) that I did not have any lip sync problems when using my Denon 3802.

I however noticed when watching Ronin the other night the lip-sync of a few milliseconds and once I had spotted it I could not concentrate on the film. I was just watching people’s lips etc.

From my initial posting (no problems etc) I have rebuilt my system on a new AV stand and upgraded 90% of the cables / interconnects and also increased the length of the main component cable run to the projector (following moving it from a book shelf location to ceiling mount). The picture has improved significantly with the various upgrades, but I now have a lip sync problem and once noticed I could not ignore it.

So I went out on Tuesday to get a Denon 3803 (has audio delay + upgrades on DAC’s / power etc) but in having a look around the store (Sound and Vision, Bolton) I noticed a Yamaha RX-V1400 and the sales guy said he had received good feedback from customers, showed me the latest What HiFi mag (5 stars and they were raving about it being the new best AV receiver for £800 etc) and it apparently it did up to 230mhz component signal switching. But they did not have one set up for demo as they had sold through so quickly and only had 2 left from 30 delivered a week ago.

So I got one and having used the auto setup (has a plug in microphone to balance sound / calibrate all channels etc) I sat back to enjoy. Well I was very disappointed, tinny, bright, no warmth and sounded like a £400 amp and the build quality was not that of a £750 amp (price I paid). The video switching was also significantly degrading my signal (turned out that it is HDTV compatible with only 60Mhz ceiling! Not the 230mhz as informed in the shop). I then spent circa 6 hours manually tweaking etc but to no avail.

So 9.00am yesterday morning it was back to S&V and they swapped it no problem for a Denon 3803. I’ve since spent 2-3 hours setting it up and well, beautiful. I should have stuck to my guns and got the 3803 in the first place. Lip sync cured and cracking in movie or music modes.

I may be guilty of not liking the Yamaha tone, but I have again learnt the number one lesson in AV / HIFI, listen to your ears and nothing else. The RX-V1400 was definitely a step backwards from my old 3802 according to my ears while the3803 is a nice step up.

Also as per other threads the Yamaha RX0V1400 can be had from a few German sites for circa £500 (same pan European warranty as a UK bought one).

But remember; listen to them before you buy.

Regards,

Chris L.

9. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks very much for sharing your views and experiences of these amps guys - I'll definitely take your advice chris l and listen before I buy - both amps look like they meet my requirements on paper but it looks like a good listen and a look at the video quality through the amp are very important.

Any dealers you guys know of in central london that have either or both of these amps on display?

Many thanks again and hope you're all having a great christmas!!I certainly am - my lovely wife to be gave me a 40GB iPod!!!
    :clap: