• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which Receiver up to £2000?

dts_boy

I have an Onkyo TXNR3010 which I think its time to change. Its working perfectly well but feel the need to make a change!
Its driving a B&W XT speaker system and system is 75% movies 25% music. With music its also been okay but feel this is the main it needs to improve. Not too fussed about Atmos/DTS:X but would be nice if it has it.
I also use the zone 2 to power some speakers in another room.
Have both a TV and projector connected, both only 1080p but may upgrade the TV in near future also so the new AVR needs to be fully 4k compliant.
I am thinking one of the new Anthem or Arcam receivers and possibly a Yamaha as an outside choice - what do people think?
The newer Onkyos don't' seem to be well reviewed due to lack of Audyssey or am I wrong here?

Don't appear to be many shops I can demo receivers (around Cheshire) - don't mind paying in full for a home trial if that's available!

stewjoy

Hi,
I personally like Yamaha, but there will be others that disagree. I find them well built and very reliable. I would try and get an audition. Quantum AV, is not far from you.

Rick84

I personally fall asleep with Denon, Yamaha & maranta kit. New Arcam units are interesting with the new room correction, also Anthem kit is well respected by the majority.

I personally would suggest to have a listen to the new Cambridge kit before committing to something.

dts_boy

after a bit more reading I am leaning towards an Anthem unit - there seems to be pretty good deals on the 510/710 as the new range is due in the new year i'm told.
As much as I like Arcam I am put off by all the reliability issues they seem to have had - I owned an avr600 at launch and it was riddled with issues although I'm sure they will have been worked out by now!

Rick84

Wasn't the issues rectified with the 380/450 etc? SSAV have them at awesome prices. A 380 can be picked up for £800 i think

stewjoy

Hi dts_boy,
You can't go wrong with anthem, I had the mrx510 and found it very good. If you get in touch with Andrew at quantum av, he is in St Asaph,
Have a chat if in doubt he will arrange an audition. Where abouts in Cheshire are you.

dts_boy

I'm sure the Arcam bugs are all gone but its left a bad taste in my mouth.
I'm near Wilmslow, Manchester/Stockport seem the easiest options but its finding time and a dealer that actually has stock of what I'm interested in!

Rick84

Have you looked at SSAV's return policy ? I'd be tempted to look at the the Arcam 750 if I had 2k

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom