1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which receiver to go with Mission FS2-AV

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AdtheBad, May 16, 2001.

1. AdtheBad

AdtheBad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Advice Needed.

As a Home Cinema virgin anxious to pop my cherry I am calling on you for advice.

I currently have a Pioneer DV-626 player, and am planning on taking the plunge with a set of Mission FS-AV speakers including Sub. However I am also needing to purchase a receiver to make all of this run okay - and I was wondering which would be a good option. I am looking for a fairly reasonable price (around £300) - and wondered if you had any advice as to which would go well with the player and the planned Misison speakers. What do I need to be looking out for? I thought about perhaps one of the Kenwood receivers which seem fairly reasonable and are quite well reviewed. But should I be looking elsewhere. Is there any particular technical issues that I need to be aware of when looking - and where is the best place to get this kit?

Please help this slightly inept beginner!

Thanks

Adam Adam@adthebad.freeserve.co.uk

2. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have a look at the denon 1608 i think it is. there are some new kenwoods due anytime time very keenly priced

3. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if your budget COULD stretch to it go for the DENON 2801, this is what i have. i also have the mission fs package and they go extremely well together. if you can't afford the 2801, try the 1801. denon and mission will be an EXCELLENT combination, which ever way you go.
    MARK. :)

4. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    meant the 1801 sorry...this months what hifi has it in

Mike

5. ZZR

ZZR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Info from Mission:

From Mission:

The Mission FS2-AV Home Theatre system is designed to work on a wide range of AV receivers including DENON, SONY, YAMAHA, ONKYO & PIONEER. The basic requirement is as follows:

AV Receiver -
    30 - 150 Watts per channel - 8 Ohms, typically £600 +

Others include KENWOOD & Harmon Kardon and CYRUS AV5, so even high end processors work well with the system.

6. AdtheBad

AdtheBad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all of you for your help on that. I'm looking into the prices for the two Denon's. It may be a case of going for the cheaper of the two, but even that one seems good.
    Any ideas on where the best place would be to get either the receiver or speakers (or both)? Also does anyone know if the kit would come with all the necessary cables & wires (Optical etc etc) or is it best to get them seperately?

Thanks again

7. tbibic

tbibic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Auditioned the Denon 2801 with the Missions at the weekend. As AV speakers they were average - used for music they were AWFUL. I was gutted, I really hoped they'd be everything they were cracked up to be - the sub was attrocious.

The shop threw on some B&W 601 S2s and a B&W centre (about £200 less as a package than the missions) and the difference was ubelievable. The B&Ws rocked and it changed my future purchasing plans.

I guess the moral of the story is - get yourself down to a HiFi store and have a listen.

8. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    erm, not how i remember them...each to their own

Mike

9. AdtheBad

AdtheBad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well - being honest I had already ordered the speakers, and as money was tight also a Denon AVR 1801 which hopefully will go together well. I must admit that that is the only bad experience I have heard from with the Missions. They should be arriving to me soon, and I shall have a listen and let you know my humble opinion.

Thanks for all your views and help. Fingers crossed I have made the right decision!

10. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    uncross those fingers, you have made an excellent decision. you will not be dissapointed with the missions fs2 av.

11. ZZR

ZZR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your opinions and reviews of these speakers would be most welcome on http://www.flat-speaker.co.uk.

Thanks for member tbibic for posting his views

12. AdtheBad

AdtheBad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having finally found the time to install it all I have to say I am mighty happy with my choices (Denon Av1801 & Mission FS2 - AV). I won't pretend to be an expert in this field but the range of the speakers is amazing and I have managed to not annoy my girlfriend and flat-mates with huge black boxes (the sub-woofer is snugly sat away in the corner rumbling every now and again).
    The Denon - whilst not being top of the range has all the features I need and at £250 (after some searching) was a bargain. Cool Tuner also!

All in all I am a very happy man.
    One small complaint - the Mission literature states that the rather brilliant flat cable (no denying it is unobtrusive and bairly visible) is easy to strip and wire up. Sorry but from my experience that just wasn't the case! A small complaint in an otherwise brilliant package.

Thanks for all your help in putting it together.

13. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know what u mean. The cable was an absolute nightmare to strip on mine too.