which receiver & speaker? budget £350

oldschooldj

Standard Member
Hi, alls I have a budget of up to £350 its going to be a gift from my partner, my TV is a Panasonic vt20 equipment using hdmi sky hd, ps3 , xbox , 3d bd player , pc.
looking for best quality sound i can get on a £350 budget im not to bothered about futures but the receiver must be able to pass through 3d and have 3 or more hdmi inputs. I would prefer small speakers as long as it doesn't compromise the sound 5.1 would be fine

receivers + speakers i have been looking at so fare

Pioneer VSX-421-K , SONY STRDH520 , ONKYO TXSR309 , YAMAHA RXV371

speakers YAMAHA NSP285 , YAMAHA NSP40 , Pioneer SHS100 , HARMAN KARDON HKTS9 , BOSTON ACOUSTICS SOUNDWARE XS , TANNOY SFX5.1
any advise welcome :lease:
the TV has built in freesat hd I was wondering how I get the audio to play through the receiver I guess all my equipment plugs into the receiver hdmi in and the hdmi out goes to the TV will the hdmi out of the receiver to my TV carry the audio back from the TV into the receiver :blush:
thanks

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would go for the Yamaha system as it has an active sub. This will make upgrading/replacement in the future easier and should alos give sound quality improvements as you are taking some of the load off the reciever. The Onkyo system only has a passive sub.

oldschooldj

Standard Member
THANKS PSM

just seen this YAMAHA RX-V467 £249 its only £20 more then the yamaha rxv 371 so i think im going for the YAMAHA RX-V467 receiver
cheers

oldschooldj

Standard Member
I went for this Onkyo TX-NR509 AV Receiver plus 5.1 Speaker System £283inc p&p its being deliverd on Friday
cheers

Krisafc80

Did you get that from Best Buy..??

I have exactly the same budget of around £350 and looking at the Onkyo TSXR309 and Tannoy SFX5.1 speakers.

plindoe

Novice Member
Did you get that from Best Buy..??

I have exactly the same budget of around £350 and looking at the Onkyo TSXR309 and Tannoy SFX5.1 speakers.

I got the Onkyo TSXR309 and was tempted by the speakers you mention but couldnt stretch that far price wise. Ended up getting the Yamaha NSP40s. Very happy with it, although they were really pushing me to get the Tannoy ones with a Yamaha amp. Just couldnt afford it, already annoyed the wife spending the £290 I did, which was more than the £250 I was initially aiming at by looking at the Onkyo 3405.

Very happy with my choice but would have probably gone with their (Richer Sounds) suggestion if I could have afforded it. :D

Just dont get sucked in to their BS about any cables/leads, blah blah you need at least one expensive HDMI lead, please, dont insult my intelligence! :laugh:

The NSP40 comes with a loom of speaker wire, which was good as I could cut it to the desired length for each speaker, think the 3405 comes with pre length wire for each speaker. Only problem was the wire was white, why in the name of god!! :suicide:

Krisafc80

Well I've really been wrestling with this purchase the last few days ..... ready to :suicide:!!

I am picking up my set tomorrow from RS....gone for the Onkyo 309 (would have liked a slightly higher model) but have persuaded the wife to part with a bit more cash for the Canton Movie 125 MX speakers (although I've been doing my head in today looking at the Jamo a101 HCS speakers).

RS seem to push the Tannoys I agree and they wont be selling me unncessary cables either.

Getting the lot for £429 which blows my origional £350 but hey .... cant take it with you !! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom