1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Receiver Please for My Setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sneaky, Aug 10, 2004.

1. sneaky

Standard Member

Dec 14, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    North East
    Hi Guys,

I know this ? has been asked many times but hopefully you can bear with me and give me some pointers.

I am looking for a receiver to go with a set of castle compacts and an SVS sub.

Movies are my passion, I listen to some music but Im certainly no audiophile as I wouldnt have a clue what I was supposed to be looking for.

My Film Room is 12ft * 12ft

I would like Auto Setup.

Money isnt a problem - I just want something that goes with my setup without overpricing the receiver.

I have read reports on everything and to be honest I find the way they star them is a little daft. eg A £250 receiver my get 5 stars which obviously means that is good quality and value for that money but what I need to know is how many stars say a CA 540R would have against a Denon 3805. So as you see I am totally confused so a little help would be gratefully received. What they should have is ten stars and each receiver is starred against the scale regardless of the price.

There must be a point where the receiver that you buy is too good for the other components in the setup - I want to be at the point just before the amp being too good.

Is there a benckmark like the receiver should be half the price of the 5.1 speaker setup etc etc.

Hopefully this makes sense and you can help me a little.

2. alfaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Just been through this,

both with the compacts and then uprating the fronts and centres to Stirlings and a Bastion.

Tried 4 amps Yam2400, HK630, denon 3805 and Arcam Ar300...

If you are at all interested in music as well as the AV side of things it came down to either the Arcam 300 or the Denon 3805. The denon clinched it for me, being five hundred quid cheaper my budget for my DVD player is nearly complete ;-) it also was just the better amp musically with the stirlings...