1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which receiver for up to £500?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NickXX, Jul 3, 2005.

1. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've currently got a Marantz SR4400 and a Rotel RB-03 power amp to feed my fronts, and would like to sell these and get a receiver and no power amp. I've got a 5.1 setup with:

Fronts: B&W 601s3s
    Centre: B&W VM1
    Rears: B&W VM1
    Sub: BKE XL200

I would like a 6.1 Receiver which is also reasonable for Stereo music listening. The reason I'm upgrading is because I'm not 100% with how this sounds in stereo only mode (the receiver really muddies the sound before feeding it to the power amp), the sub settings are also not the best and I'm not overly impressed with movie sound.

I've got my eye on the Denons at Superfi, but am open to any suggestions,

Many thanks in advance!

Nick

2. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick,

I've just been reading yet another raving review on the Denon 2805. If I had a spare few hundred quid theres no doubt that would be my next upgrade.

I currently have a Yamaha model, and although it sound excellent when pumped up, I could do with something which produces excellent sound quality throughout the volume range. If you read the review at the top of the AV amps section page here, it explains how the Denon sounds excellent even at low volumes (this is what I want!!!). If I wasnt due to move in to my first house in about a month :rolleyes: my money would definately be on the 2805. I actually spoke to a very helpful chap from Musical Fidelity (I rang to ask about there stereo gear), and we got talking about AV amps. The guy told me of his experiences with the Denon amp, and how blown away he was with the sound quality and processing ability of the Denon, and that it basically roasts their own AV models! :eek: He strongly recommended me to go for a Denon next time, and thats what i'll be doing!

Another thing is that the Denons are warm sounding amps like the Yamahas, which I personally prefer.

Hope this helps, let us know what you decide.

3. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's fantastic, thanks a lot rockhopper - I've just taken a look at some reviews and looks like it'll be the one I'll get, sounds exactly what I'm looking for (price, nature of sound, great stereo sound...). A little too pricey new, but should be able to get hold of one 2nd hand for exactly the sort of money I was hoping to spend.

Many thanks :D

Nick

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Nick,

I've always been a stereo nut, but have spent the past few weeks demoing AV gear. One of the things I discovered with respect to amps was that found the Denon's (3805) to be very good, but the Harman Kardon's to be much better in every respect, films and especially music. I was gobsmacked with how good the HK was at music - the AVR630 drove some Kef XQ5's with power and finesse aplenty, and I reckon it would give my 2 grand's worth of stereo Audiolab amplification a run for its money, and its no contest in the value stakes obviously. I'd describe the HK as being livelier and more dynamic than the Denon, having superb bass power and control.

Sevenoaks have some ex-demo AVR630's at half price (£500) - it'd be what I'd buy for sure, so maybe worth a look/demo?

5. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, cheers for that mate - I was going to pop into Sevenoaks tomorrow/Tuesday to have demo the Rotel. Will try out the HK too now.

Many thanks,

Nick

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    NickXX - you can pick up a new denon avr2805 for a few pennies over £500 if you shop arround.

Whilst I am exceptionally happy with my 2805 I would however have to admit that it isnt amazing at music and certainly the likes of HK & Acarm are known to be better in this area - personally it doesnt bother me as I have a seperate stereo system for music so the denon is purely for movies which is what it does best.

7. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you manage to demo today? any reports for us (would be interesting)?

8. NickXX

NickXX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey superpixel,

I'm booked in for 3PM tomorrow - at Sevenoaks in Watford. Apparently they don't have any HK's anymore as they phased them out since the Denon 2805. I will try the Denon, and anything else they have around the magic 500. Will get back to guys after.

Many thanks!

Nick

9. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick, i'm interested in what you demo'd and what you think of the Denon 2805. As for the HK, I personally do not really like the look of their equipment and therefore never looked into their models, prices etc.. so I cant comment on them.

I'm wondering whether Denon are due to bring out a replacement of the 2805 actually - I noticed they have a couple of new DVD players coming in to the market (albeit budget models), and the 2805 has been out a fair few months now. If it does get replaced, you can guarantee the 2805 will be discounted! :) . Then again, the replacement should be even better :eek:

Let us know what happened mate.