Question Which Receiver for My Situation?

mrmcmaths

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been reading the forum and there has been some excellent information shared between members.

I hope I can get some advice on which receiver would suit my speaker and room setup.

Speakers are monitor audio bronze 2's
Centre
Fx's
Sub W10

I have the option of getting another W10 for cheap so might add that too.

My room is 12ft x 18ft and speakers and tv can be placed almost anywhere. 1 window is 9ft wide on 18ft side and other window is 5ft on 12ft side.

Long term plan is 7.2.4
Will buy floorstanders and 4 ceiling speakers in future and use bronze 2's as sides.

So after that essay! Which receiver would suit my needs? Budget is about £1500 ish but don't want to go overkill if £800 would do me.

Looking forward to hearing your informed suggestions.

John.

Meant to add that I would be buying an external amp for 4 atmos speakers in future so a 7.2 receiver would suit me.

In a room that size I think that you may find 5.2.4 total overkill and you will see little benefit over 5.1.2. Save your money and buy quality over quantity. This

Denon AVR-X4500H 9.2 Channel AV Surround Receiver

is an absolute steal at the moment at £849 instead of £1499. Keep your Bronze 2s and put in Bronze FXs for rear, something like a pair of MA C265s for atmos. Sell your MA sub and get something like a BK XXLS200 or Gemini2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply Mushii, you know what you are right about the 4 atmos being over kill.

I've seen xxls200 recommended alot and I was going to get them but I got offered the W10 for £200 brand new so I thought maybe 2 x w10's would be better than one xxls200 for around the same price. Would that be right or are the w10's really not worth it?
I can still send it back coz it is unopened.

The denon 4500 looks good? Is it worth extra £150 over 3600? I think probably but interested in your opinion

The denon 4500 looks good? Is it worth extra £150 over 3600?
Yes for several reasons including a better processor in AL32 which is not on the 3600. The 4500 has more headroom which is always welcome. Better PSU and internals components.

I have a Gemini II and a W10 and I think that the BK sub is much better. And yes the extra £150 will provide better room EQ and all the things that @gibbsy beat me to saying. And a gain, go for quality over quantity you could even look at the xxls400. Two subs in such a small space, imho would be wasted over one decent sub.
The Room Correction on the 4500 would make the most out of one decent sub.

Yes for several reasons including a better processor in AL32 which is not on the 3600. The 4500 has more headroom which is always welcome. Better PSU and internals components.

Thanks Gibbsy, just to throw another spanner in the works and I know it is probably overkill again but I was offered an Arcam avr390 for £1200.

Would the denon suit me better as well as saving me from my newbie excitement that is pushing me to throw money into it when I don't need too.

Mushii is already after saving me money on buying unneeded extras.

Would be interested in your view on the 2 W10 sub vs 1 xxls200 too

Oh I can spend your money, but I would buy less and buy better as the overall experience will be MUCH better. A decent single sub will give you all of the bass that you wanted from putting in floorstanders as not only will it extend lower and provide deep LFE it will also be able to handle some of the mid-low frequencies and have a much faster response. Your Bronze 2s will be fine to handle mids and upper frequencies.

Thanks again mushii, was just looking at bk again. Would the monolith plus be overkill? I used to love the 1200w 12inch active sub I had in my car back before my child was around.

LMAO yes I think that a Monolith maybe too extreme but that is my opinion. If you want a sub the size of a small armchair that will rattle your fillings and your neighbours, go for it

LMAO yes I think that a Monolith maybe too extreme but that is my opinion. If you want a sub the size of a small armchair that will rattle your fillings and your neighbours, go for it

Haha there I go again trying to spend all my money. I lived in a detached house in country side so no neighbours but the cows might not be pleased with me. Would you think the p12 is overkill too and the xxls would suit my room and speakers better.

I appreciate the advice as this is my first setup so finding it hard to imagine what is too much and too little for my room. Couldn't demo over all stores being closed for virus.

Just a last questions on the bk subs as thanks to both of you I will be going for x4500 receiver, would there be any or much difference in performance in down or forward facing and which bk sub do you think is the biggest I can get away with without ruining overall setup as I plan on purchasing sub soon.

Thanks in advance again.

That is a very contentious question and I guess a lot of people will have very varied opinions on this question. In general it shouldnt make too much difference but if it is a wooden suspended floor I would go FF but if it is a sold floor then DF but its as much aesthetics as anything else.

Biggest, well you could buy the Monolith but common sense says look at the xxls400

Just checked bk and they only have the monolith plus, monolith and xxls200 in stock. Was looking at the p12 and xxls 400 but out of stock unfortunately.

Oh I didn't know that cheers I will do.
Thanks again for all your help. It really made things a lot clearer in my mind.

If you every need a hand with anything mathematical give me a shout :thumbsup:

Just my view here, buy the monolith! Defo buy the biggest subwoofer you can afford and fit within your home. You'll wont regret it, and makes a massive difference to your film/LFE experience!! Trust me, you'll thank me for it.

I think that the OP needs to see how big a Monolith is to appreciate its size. It will dominate a room,

In fact give BK a call and give them your room size and ask them which sub they would recommend. I know similar posters have done the same. Tom is pretty good at advising on a sub to match your room.

In fact give BK a call and give them your room size and ask them which sub they would recommend. I know similar posters have done the same. Tom is pretty good at advising on a sub to match your room.

Just giving an update cause I hate when threads are left cold.

I spoke to Tom today and he was very friendly and helpful.

He said they couldn't build some of the specific speakers at the moment but could make others. So of the ones he had available he suggested double gemini or monolith for my room so I said I would think and ring back soon.

I actually got out the tape and measured the room properly after I got off the phone. Room was 13ft 2" wide and 20ft 8" long so another few feet bigger than my steps thought.

Not that it matters because I saw a monolith plus grade b on ebay for sale for £500 from bk and of course I couldn't resist especially since it's ready now and not a two week wait.

I purchased the sub and there were some issues with postage because I am in Ireland and ebay didn't like that but Tom figured it out and was very helpful.

Our nest table is the same dimension as the sub and it has plenty of space in the room.

Last thing now I need is the denon. Have to see which UK stores will ship to Ireland if any as most say no on website but that might change with a friendly phone call.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Ye were able to talk sense into me about the ceiling speakers and receiver but I couldn't resist at least trying out the monster sub.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom