Which receiver for minimal or external HDMI switching only?

nevC

Novice Member
Reaction score
My Denon AVR-X2600H outputs nothing through HDMI having lasted just 18 months, though it did better than the Sony STRDN1080 which died after only 4 months. The Sony had replaced my Pioneer VSX-D2011 which worked without issue for 16 years.
From the feedback I've got on the issue and from what I've read here and elsewhere, spending more on a higher end model (equivalent to my original Pioneer) would not have made it less likely that this would happen.
I had used external HDMI and YPBR switches with the Pioneer for years. All of them lasted much longer than these newer receivers and the HDMI switching functionality seems to be the problem.
Apparently coaxial can't handle HD audio such as 7.1, Atmos etc. Is HDMI the only option, it seems that Denon I-Link is not supported anymore?
Any older receivers I find online are second hand and I would prefer to buy something unused.
If I were to buy another modern receiver and only used one of the HDMI inputs (from an external switch) would that reduce the likelihood of the HDMI board dying after only a few months, of course, I would still have to switch between CD and other analog inputs?
What makes my situation more difficult is that I need to find a solution that facilitates SACD so, if anything, it seems like older amps might be the only option.
Any help much appreciated.

If I were to buy another modern receiver and only used one of the HDMI inputs (from an external switch) would that reduce the likelihood of the HDMI board dying after only a few months, of course, I would still have to switch between CD and other analog inputs?
I doubt it. It looks as though you've been very unlucky and you should certainly take up the failure with Denon with such a young unit, that's far from acceptable and I would check current consumer legislation in Ireland and push for a free repair at the very least.

I'm on my fifth Denon and all have been faultless (with a quick touch of the wood on my armchair). You will certainly have to find an AV amp that does DSD and all the Denons and Marantz have this ability although for stereo you would be better off with an analogue input as HDMI is such a poor transport.

Upvote 0
I have been unlucky though, apparently, quite a few people on these forums have had the HDMI boards in their receivers fail. I guess I prefer the hi-fi approach of using separates for discrete functions.
Thanks for the info about the HDMI. I didn't know that HDMI was a poor transport for stereo as I have only ever used HDMI for music to play the two Blu Ray multichannel discs I own.
I would like to upgrade to an SACD capable receiver that had a reliable record even if it cost a bit more for that better build quality.
I will pursue a fix for the Denon with the store regardless as it's good to have a backup machine if the main unit has to go to hospital.
I will have to do some research as my TV and projector are just 1080p and a 4K Blu Ray player, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are among the devices in the system.

Upvote 0
Denon have had issues with HDMI boards - though two failed HDMI AVR’s so quickly may hint at other issues, is your projector on the same mains ring as the rest of the system?

Joe

Upvote 0
Hi, Joe.
The projector is on the same ring. Is that a known issue for HDMI switches or devices?
I can put the receiver on a different ring.

Upvote 0
You want the AVR and Projector on the same ring - often folk have them on different rings (we work in a lot of older and extended house) which is a potential hassle.

Joe

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard of that being an issue.
I'll keep them on the same ring and do a bit of research on it, just in case it has implications for other components such as switches or consoles.

Upvote 0
You can have problems with earthing and voltages if the projector is on a different ring - we work on a lot of older and extended houses so something we know to look out for.

An HDFury Vertex2, or upcoming Vertex3, HDMI switch or Lumagen Video Processor combined with an AVR or Stereo Amp is a good way to ensure your HDMI Switching is always staying up-to-date and minimises the processing (and resulting heat) on the AVR HDMI video Boards.

Keeping the HDMI switching external to the AVR and having a switch with constantly evolving Firmware is a very flexible option.

Joe

PS The HDFury and Lumagen units are at very different price points.

Upvote 0
Thankfully, I have them on the same ring. I never evn considered that and I wonder if it applies to source components.
That sounds like good advice. I'll keep the sources going through a switch so I use only two inputs on the amp. I'll have to get familiar with firmware updating now.
Cheers!

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom