Answered Which receiver for Atmos 5.1.4 setup?

lunazero

I am a real novice when it comes to purchasing receivers and speakers so any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. My plan is for a 5.1.4 setup. And just wondering which receivers would power all these channels without purchasing an extra power amp? At the moment interested in Yamaho RX-A3070, Denon AVR-X6400, Marantz SR7012 or Onkyo TX-RZ3100. Finding it difficult to choose between them. However have a demo booked this week to hear selection of speakers with Yamaha and Onkyo.

Anton2015

Distinguished Member
I am a real novice when it comes to purchasing receivers and speakers so any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. My plan is for a 5.1.4 setup. And just wondering which receivers would power all these channels without purchasing an extra power amp? At the moment interested in Yamaho RX-A3070, Denon AVR-X6400, Marantz SR7012 or Onkyo TX-RZ3100. Finding it difficult to choose between them. However have a demo booked this week to hear selection of speakers with Yamaha and Onkyo.

I’m sure you’ll get a lot of replies on this thread but I also have a 5.1.4 setup.

For the last 2 years or so I had a Yamaha 3050.

I recently upgraded to the Denon X6400H and all I can say is WOW!!!

From the second I turned it on it literally destroyed my Yamaha. It sounded like my system had come alive.

Audyssy setup seems to be much better for me, Atmos / DTS: X have never sounded this good. Not even close, but then so has default DD upmixed.

Bass management is excellent too!

Setup was easy, the app is great and I have literally no complaints.

I only upgraded really to get DV bypass option and just wanted to keep the sounds as good, I had no idea the uplift I was going to get.

Easily one of the best upgrades I’ve ever made.

Also, remember it’s 11 channel so you got a couple spare channels should you ever wanna add more speakers.

I’m sure there will be other great comments for all the amps but regardless, you cannot leave this amp off your demo list!

At £1399 I think it’s a bargain!

lunazero

Excellent thanks very much for the advice and I agree the price is very tempting!

jslater

+1 on the Denon too. Very easy to set up and the sound is outstanding. Dolby atmos is another level of greatness

I’ve been extremely happy with it. Friend had the same experience, totally blown away when he compared it with his old receiver.

If you can get for 1400 o don’t think you’ll regret it.

jimmymleeds

I recently bought a Marantz Sr6012 after owning a pioneer vsx ax5is for years. Its awesome.. sounds absolutely mint and looks the part too unlike most other recievers that stick with the normal design.

If youre looking to spend around £1400 however id definitely go for the 7012 or 8012 at a push or even the onkyo TX RZ 1100.

dollag

if music is important than id go for the marantz over the denon. internally they are very similar as the same company and both use audyssey. marantz just has a slight edge in 2 channel.

lunazero

Thanks for all this incredible advice - I have attached a room plan and wondered if it would be too small for an upgrade to 7.1.4 in a few years? At the moment deciding between Yamaha 3070 and Denon 6400. Demo went well yesterday and compared Dali Zensor 5 v Monitor Audio Silver v Kef Q550. Most impressed with Kef and could not hear improvement in sound between Monitor and Kef.

Attachments

• Front Room plan.jpg
    Front Room plan.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,006

Anton2015

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all this incredible advice - I have attached a room plan and wondered if it would be too small for an upgrade to 7.1.4 in a few years? At the moment deciding between Yamaha 3070 and Denon 6400. Demo went well yesterday and compared Dali Zensor 5 v Monitor Audio Silver v Kef Q550. Most impressed with Kef and could not hear improvement in sound between Monitor and Kef.

Coming from the Yammy 3050 the Denon 6400 is on another level!

But then that could also be that the Denon better suits my speakers / room etc. So it may not be such a clear case for you.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
your room is the ideal size for 7.1.4, I would definitely plan for this. My cinema room is virtually the identical size, I wouldn't bother with 5.1.4 if you can squeeze back speakers behind your sofa and move it away for the alcove a meter or so.

In terms of receivers, I dont think you would go wrong with a denon or marantz if planning an all in one solution. If you can get one, a 7200 is still "probably" better than the 6400 or 7012 (although it will only do 9 channels). It was still their flagship receiver until the 8500 came out earlier this year.

So, in my opinion, 11 channels, then go for the denon 6400, if 9 channels, the 7200.

lunazero

your room is the ideal size for 7.1.4, I would definitely plan for this. My cinema room is virtually the identical size, I wouldn't bother with 5.1.4 if you can squeeze back speakers behind your sofa and move it away for the alcove a meter or so.

Thanks for this advice good to know 7.1.4 is possible. However think I need to upload an updated floor plan of my front room to show where the 2 x 3 seater sofas will be and the wall mounted 55” LG OLED.

As sofas are not in front of alcove but currently pushed against a wall this may mean 5.1.4 might make more sense?

Will upload amended floorplan ASAP.

lunazero

Hello

Forgive the very crude annotations. X marks possible speaker positions and C is for centre speaker. Not decided where to add subwoofer yet but will be near front speakers.

The corner ‘red’ crosses would be for 5.1.4 setup. However with additional ‘blue’ speakers I hoped this would improve surround sound for all seating positions? Would an amp calibrate sound so wherever you sit it will still sound great?

Attachments

• 21E3ACB4-8FCC-427A-A45D-B54397D8E72B.jpeg
    21E3ACB4-8FCC-427A-A45D-B54397D8E72B.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 948

mb3195

Distinguished Member
The blue speakers wouldn’t work in those locations.

Can you not move your tv so it's on whe wall opposite the window?

lunazero

Moving the TV unfortunately not an option at them moment. Currently TV is the corner next to the window so wall-mounting seemed to be the best option.

Anton2015

Distinguished Member
Hello

Forgive the very crude annotations. X marks possible speaker positions and C is for centre speaker. Not decided where to add subwoofer yet but will be near front speakers.

The corner ‘red’ crosses would be for 5.1.4 setup. However with additional ‘blue’ speakers I hoped this would improve surround sound for all seating positions? Would an amp calibrate sound so wherever you sit it will still sound great?

When calibrating you would usually not place the mic more than 2 feet away from the original (first) location. So if you think of a 3 seater sofa. You are looking at placing the mic in the middle seat first then at each end etc.

On this basis your other sofa will play no part so having speakers over there ‘for that sofa’ will through everything out of play.

Agree with the above comment. No way those blue crosses for speakers would be a good idea.

It has been said in the past that a perfectly positioned 5.1 can sound better than a messy 7.1 etc.

So be careful that you’re not trying to do too much. If you can position the speakers roughly where there need to be then great! But if you can’t, then don’t use them.

Good luck :)

gibbsy

Looking at your floor plan and the main sofa position and unless you can get the sofa away from the wall by at least 50cm then 5.1.2 is going to be your best option. Even then you are going to have to be careful with your speaker choice as it looks as though the front left is going to be pushed into a corner making a floorstander uncomfortable.

Your other sofa is going to be well of axis and not the best for viewing or listening purposes. As has been pointed out the TV would be best placed opposite the window and this would facilitate a better speaker layout to 7.1.4.

You have mentioned the possibility of moving things around in the future. That would make me shy away from a permanent in ceiling placement, which at the moment, I suggest be kept to two speakers roughly at the front of the sofa. You may, right now, be better off with using upfiring modules providing your ceiling meets the requirements, ie, flat and made of reflective materials. I would still keep to 5.1.2.

I would still go for a 6400 as this would future proof you for a room turn around. I'm using a 6200 in a similar sized L shaped lounge in a 5.1.2.

lunazero

Looking at your floor plan and the main sofa position and unless you can get the sofa away from the wall by at least 50cm then 5.1.2 is going to be your best option. Even then you are going to have to be careful with your speaker choice as it looks as though the front left is going to be pushed into a corner making a floorstander uncomfortable.

I would still go for a 6400 as this would future proof you for a room turn around. I'm using a 6200 in a similar sized L shaped lounge in a 5.1.2.

Thank you for all the wise advice. Sounds like 7.1.4 is not viable which is fine. The front left floorstander will sit just left of the TV and not in a corner. So if I could only have 5.1.4 (as unlikely to move furniture in the future) should I go for Denon 4400 instead of 6400? Would I hear a significant difference in sound quality and visuals using the 4400 instead of 6400?

Anton2015

Distinguished Member
Thank you for all the wise advice. Sounds like 7.1.4 is not viable which is fine. The front left floorstander will sit just left of the TV and not in a corner. So if I could only have 5.1.4 (as unlikely to move furniture in the future) should I go for Denon 4400 instead of 6400? Would I hear a significant difference in sound quality and visuals using the 4400 instead of 6400?

I had the same dilemma but decided to opt for the 6400 even though I only use 5.1.4.

The X6400H is still made one japan unlike the lower model versions.

If you read the spec sheets they are almost identicle other than the X6400 has a little more power, an extra 2 amps, weighs a little more and of course in made in Japan.

It doesn’t havever mention if their internal configuration is the same nor if the internal components are the same.

There are some that say the X6400 does have an increased sound quality - in site some that say it doesn’t.

I just always prefer to get the very best I can when possible, especially when buying the previous years model.

lunazero

I had the same dilemma but decided to opt for the 6400 even though I only use 5.1.4.

I just always prefer to get the very best I can when possible, especially when buying the previous years model.

Thanks for the advice Anton 2015 - after much consideration, yesterday I purchased the following setup:

Denon AVR X-6400 (although dealer tried to sell Yamaha 3070 by offering £200 less than Denon!)
Oppo UDP-203
Kef Q550 x 2, Kef 650c, Kef Q350 x2, Kef Kube 10, Kef Q50a Atmos x 4 [5.1.4]

The dealer will deliver and install the full kit in October - date depending on when the other room we are decorating is done. This will be my first every home cinema system so really looking forward to enjoying movies and music ready before Christmas... and the wife gets extra space for Christmas tree so it's a win-win!

Anton2015

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the advice Anton 2015 - after much consideration, yesterday I purchased the following setup:

Denon AVR X-6400 (although dealer tried to sell Yamaha 3070 by offering £200 less than Denon!)
Oppo UDP-203
Kef Q550 x 2, Kef 650c, Kef Q350 x2, Kef Kube 10, Kef Q50a Atmos x 4 [5.1.4]

The dealer will deliver and install the full kit in October - date depending on when the other room we are decorating is done. This will be my first every home cinema system so really looking forward to enjoying movies and music ready before Christmas... and the wife gets extra space for Christmas tree so it's a win-win!

Awesome! You have to be happy and very excited!

I would question one item though....... The Oppo.

Now you’re always going to get some die hard fans but the way I see it, you could save yourself a few hundred quid and get better performance by getting a panny UB820 instead - this is on face value not knowing if there’s a specific feature you need on the Oppo?

lunazero

Awesome! You have to be happy and very excited!

I would question one item though....... The Oppo.

Now you’re always going to get some die hard fans but the way I see it, you could save yourself a few hundred quid and get better performance by getting a panny UB820 instead - this is on face value not knowing if there’s a specific feature you need on the Oppo?

Yes - looking forward to the installation! Panasonic do not support SACD or DVD-A and I am looking forward to playing discs from my collection when Oppo arrives.

Anton2015

Distinguished Member
Yes - looking forward to the installation! Panasonic do not support SACD or DVD-A and I am looking forward to playing discs from my collection when Oppo arrives.

Ahhh that makes sense.

Fun times ahead for you for sure!

lunazero

First phase of converting front room to combined living room/ cinema should start w/c October 8th.
Mantelpiece will be knocked out, followed by replastering, skimming, a quick dash of paint, pre-install cables before new carpet laid finishing with furniture laid back in place before all speakers and AVR installed and set up.

Denon X6400H how do you switch to running in 4 ohm mode as would like to keep it cool and prevent it over-heating?

Anton2015

Distinguished Member
First phase of converting front room to combined living room/ cinema should start w/c October 8th.
Mantelpiece will be knocked out, followed by replastering, skimming, a quick dash of paint, pre-install cables before new carpet laid finishing with furniture laid back in place before all speakers and AVR installed and set up.

Denon X6400H how do you switch to running in 4 ohm mode as would like to keep it cool and prevent it over-heating?

Sounds great!

You need to enter the advanced menu.

From memory open the flap on the unit itself. And keep the left and right buttons held (on the circular config) for 3 seconds.

Then press down a couple times I think.

I know u don’t plan to use all 11 channels but you may want to lay those extra cables just in case you ever change your mind ;-)

gav_sw20

Make sure you pull through an extra 50cm of cable so that you have a bit of ‘play’.

Also, I’d lay any additional cables now in case you do run a different setup in the future. I’ve got ‘backup cable’ for all of my fronts in case I want to bi-wire or if an existing cable gets damaged.

Nice kit you’ve bought, although likely Christmas presents will be tangerines and coal with the money you’ve spent this week :)

gibbsy

All those speakers are rated at 8 ohm, they have been designed to be at their best under such loading. Do not set the 6400 up for 4 ohm. If you're worried about the heat then just make sure that the 6400 has plenty of breathing space. It does get toasty but well within the parameters of the build quality and safety operation.

I've used my 6200 in full mode on the Eco setting and it has never had a safety shut down. Now with the Rega amp taking the loading of the front left and right I leave the Eco on Auto.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon launches DHT-S517 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett