Which receiver? Dual HDMI outputs (tv and projector), sound over headphones at the same time as speaker?

mattyb16

Novice Member
Reaction score
Struggling to search for results that cover both of these requirements at once, so hope a new thread is ok.

I am looking to simplify my setup by replacing my trusty old Denon AVR3300 with a receiver that will drive my 5.1 speakers at the same time as a pair of headphones (I sometimes need to stifle room sounds while listening with others), and can take at least three HDMI in, and send HDMI output to either my TV or projector without having to switch cables.

Currently managing the in/out via a neet switch, and don't have any solution for the headphones.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would be greatly appreciated.

Keep the X3300 and buy a headphone amp and connect to zone 2 analogue outputs. It's a fixed gain output and you can control the volume from the headphone amp and still allow the main zone 5.1 to operate. Both main zone and zone 2 can run in tandem.

Playback in ZONE2 (Separate room)​

You can operate this unit to enjoy audio in a room (ZONE2) that is different from the room where this unit is placed (MAIN ZONE).
You can simultaneously play back the same source in both the MAIN ZONE and ZONE2. You can also play back separate sources in the MAIN ZONE and ZONE2.
Connecting ZONE2
Playback in ZONE2

Playback in ZONE2​

Ope ZONE2 RC1192

Press ZONE2 to set the operating zone to ZONE2 with the remote control.
The ZONE2 button lights.
Press POWER
Power Button
to turn on the ZONE2 power.
The
Z2-kurowaku
indicator on the display lights.
Power in ZONE2 can be turned on or off by pressing ZONE2 ON/OFF on the main unit.
Press the input source select button to select the input source to be played.
The audio signal of the selected source is output to ZONE2.
To perform an operation with the main unit, press ZONE2 SOURCE. Each time you press ZONE2 SOURCE, the input source changes.

Thanks Gibbsy, I will have a look into that as a short-mid term solution, and also I guess reduces the need for one receiver that fills all of my requirements.

I would still be interested in suggestions for a replacement though as the Denon keeps muting itself, whistles/whines really loudly sometimes (overheating?) and I'd still like to simplify the HDMI setup.

Hi Gibbsy, was a good idea but my receiver is the 3300, not the x3300! No zone 2 outputs on mine.

Hi Gibbsy, was a good idea but my receiver is the 3300, not the x3300! No zone 2 outputs on mine.
The AVR3300 was a 5,1 models that didn't include any pre outs. You cannot pass any audio through it while simultaneously portraying audio via the speakers connected to it. The only way to use headphones would be to connect them to its headphone jack. This will however mute the speakers. There's no way to do as you want with your AV receiver.

Maybe look at one of the more recent models that include the ability to convey audio out to headphones via Bluetooth? These models allow you to transmit audio out to Bluetooth headphones while simultaneously portraying the same source via the speakers connected to the AV receiver.

All current Yamahs, Denon and Marantz models include Bluetooth transmitters. You'd have to buy one of the higher tier Yamaha moswls in order to get more than just one HDMI output though. If you've a limited budget then the Denon AVR-X2700 is probably your best option.

The X2700 has 6 HDMI inputs, 2 HDMI mirrored outputs as well as a Bluetooyj transsmitter and Zone 2 pre outs.

Last edited:
Maybe look at one of the more recent models that include the ability to convey audio out to headphones via Bluetooth? These models allow you to transmit audio out to Bluetooth headphones while simultaneously portraying the same source via the speakers connected to the AV receiver.

That sounds perfect! I will go read up on this, thank you very much! :)

The X2700 has 6 HDMI inputs, 2 HDMI mirrored outputs as well as a Bluetooyj transsmitter and Zone 2 pre outs.

2 HDMI mirrored outputs => What does this do? Send the same signal simultaneously via the 2 ports?

2 HDMI mirrored outputs => What does this do? Send the same signal simultaneously via the 2 ports?

Yep, it is like having an inbuilt HDMI splitter. THe second output will not ordinarilly be ARC enabled or HDMI CEC compliant though and only the main output has those abilities. The video signal will be the same via both outputs.

I hope it’s okay for me to piggy back off the OPs post, as I find myself in a similar situation to them, requiring 2x outputs - one for TV, one for projector, and I don’t know much at all about AV equipment.

I do not yet have an AV receiver but I’m looking to purchase one, so I can send my firestick, PS4, etc to either my TV or projector, without having to keep moving devices around / switching cables.

Projector is an Epson TW9400 which accepts 4K signal with all the HDR / 60p goodness - while my TV is only a basic 1080p panel.

Only one output will ever be used at once, I.e. we will either watch the projector, or the TV - never both at once. My understanding is that most AV receivers with dual outputs, will limit the output to the lowest resolution that’s connected to it, so because my TV is 1080p, I won’t be able to get the 4K HDR image on the projector.

I’ve read some comments about disconnecting the TV HDMI cable from the receiver when not in use, or powering off the TV, or doing some stuff in the settings - but if I have to fiddle around with cables, it defeats the purpose of getting an AV receiver in the first place.

Would anyone be able to recommend a receiver that can handle having 2x different output resolution devices connected, that will allow me to get the best image on the PJ that it can accept, even while connected to a 1080p TV?

Thanks in advance.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom