Quantcast

Which receiver do I choose

Hawklan

Distinguished Member
Hi

I've narrowed my receiver purchase down to one of two
Either the Marantz 5300 or the Harmon Kardon 3500

I listened to them both and they both sound great

The only real diff between them is that the Marantz has EX/ES
and the Harmon Kardon has Logic 7

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I can use EX or ES as I will be using a 5.1 system (I don't have room for another set of speakers). If thats so would I be better of with Logic 7.

I will be running them with some THX select speakers and a Parasound power AMP. The dealers that I have tried do not a similar setup so I can't really get the feel of what I would sound like with my setup.

So after all this rambling what I am trying to ask is - What of the two would you guy's or girls recommend with my THX speakers and a Parasound power AMP

Many thanks


Ronnie
 

Ian J

Banned
Difficult decision if you've heard the amps as they are yet you only intend to use them as pre-amps. In a roundabout way you haven't actually heard them.

Logic 7 seems to be well thought of and there is no point looking at extended surround formats if you are only going to have 5.1.

I doubt whether anyone here has the combination that you are discussing so the choice will be down to you
 
S

steelej

Guest
If they're 5.1 ex/es it still requires a 6th speaker. The 6th Channel is matrixed into the 5.1 sound, so your amp kind of guesses what should be coming out the centre rear, so the point is, if you're listening with 5 speakers and a sub it will only ever be 5.1 no matter if it's 5.1 ex/es disc, there will be no benefit from having es/ex and not having the 6th speaker.

John.
 

Jase

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by Geezer
ok that i did not know, if it then requires a 6th speaker surely its 6.1 then?
Only DTS ES Discrete is a true 6.1 format. Dolby EX, THX Surround EX and DTS ES Matrix are 5.1 formats with a matrixed rear centre channel. Just to confuse everyone further THX Surround EX specify two rear centre channels, although both receive the same mono signal, a lot of people wrongly assume this is 7.1!

Confusing or what!:rolleyes:
 
L

Lowrider

Guest
If you are going to have only 5.1 speakers, (like me, and my gear supports 7.1), EX wont matter, except maybe for resale value, or if you ever change your mind, (again like me, I did try it, but didn´t like)...

The Logic 7 might be a bonus, but not enough to decide, as the other has DPLII...

One feature I consider important is variable crossover, does any of your choices have it... :confused:

Of course I assume both have pre-outs for 5 channels, to connect to the Parasound...
 

Geezer

Novice Member
Originally posted by Jase
Only DTS ES Discrete is a true 6.1 format. Dolby EX, THX Surround EX and DTS ES Matrix are 5.1 formats with a matrixed rear centre channel. Just to confuse everyone further THX Surround EX specify two rear centre channels, although both receive the same mono signal, a lot of people wrongly assume this is 7.1!

Confusing or what!:rolleyes:
Ok thanks Jase i get it now, or do i? :rolleyes:
 

Hawklan

Distinguished Member
!!!!!Only the HK 8500 does Logic 7 on digital sources!!!!!

Maybe I'm being dense but does this mean that with the HK 3500 I won't be able to use Logic 7 with DVD's and only use it for analogue sources like CD's, VHS etc? If thats the case I may drop it and go for something else.

This evening I demoed a Arcam AVR200 against the Marantz 5300, the Arcam blew it away - It killed it with music and movies it was really dynamic. It just shows that you shouldn't base your decisions on reviews, which in general stated that the AVR200 is very musical but not too exciting with movies.

But I must admit the thought of Logic 7 does seem appealing. (HK 3500 vs Arcam AVR200 what do I go for?)
I tell ya this AV business is so confusing and frustrating.

More help needed please

Thanks

Ronnie
 
M

MikeK

Guest
Originally posted by Hawklan
!!!!!Only the HK 8500 does Logic 7 on digital sources!!!!!

Maybe I'm being dense but does this mean that with the HK 3500 I won't be able to use Logic 7 with DVD's and only use it for analogue sources like CD's, VHS etc? If thats the case I may drop it and go for something else.

This evening I demoed a Arcam AVR200 against the Marantz 5300, the Arcam blew it away - It killed it with music and movies it was really dynamic. It just shows that you shouldn't base your decisions on reviews, which in general stated that the AVR200 is very musical but not too exciting with movies.

But I must admit the thought of Logic 7 does seem appealing. (HK 3500 vs Arcam AVR200 what do I go for?)
I tell ya this AV business is so confusing and frustrating.

More help needed please

Thanks

Ronnie


Why would you even want Logic 7 when DD/DTS are available.
It's a bit like saying you'd listen to DVDs with DPL2 or Neo6 - surely nobody would do this unless they had to?
Logic7 is just another take on matrix stereo/mono/DPL.

Get the one you feel offers the best sound for the money you are prepared to pay!
 

gringottsdirect

Active Member
Arcam AVR200 www.empiredirect.co.uk @ £595.

Brotherhood Of The Wolf R2 Rental yesterday, Dolby Digital 2.0, French audio, English subtitles, DPL2...........really topping.


( Neighbour's not mine, so not biased :cool: ).
 
U

uncle eric

Guest
Originally posted by MikeK
Why would you even want Logic 7 when DD/DTS are available.
Mike,
Believe it or not, many of the Lex boys actually listen to everything in Logic seven. Strange but true :(
 
M

MikeK

Guest
Yes I've heard that before.
AFAIK though, the L7 implementation on a Lexicon is a little more powerful than the offering on HK's receivers.
AFAIK, a Lexicon in L7 mode can (using some nifty DSP trickery)extract stereo surround back channels from even plain 5.1 discs, as well as EX/ES discs.


I was just alluding to the fact that as Hawklan can't accomodate any surround back speakers anyway, so will "only" :) have a 5.1 speaker setup, then why would he even want Logic7 - even if the HK offering can do the above - without the SB speakers, it's all a bit pointless IMO (the HK's also don't have the onboard amp(s) needed for the SB speakers anyway)
You could use L7 for stereo/mono soundtracks, but these days DPL2, Neo6 and CS2 cater for that amply IMO.
(a few years ago, fair enough, Logic7 vs plain DPL would have been a no-contest).
 
L

Lowrider

Guest
As Mike says, the Logic 7 in the HK won´t probably work as well as on the Lexicon, believe me DPLII is more than good enough with 5.1

I also prefer a PCM track with DPLII to the DD 5.1 track, most of the times...
 

iwilson

Standard Member
Ronnie already has the right idea don't bother listening to anyone regarding their opinion of what processor/amp sounds better than another. Trust no one except yourself and your ears.

Logic 7 can also be configured for 5.1. It's implementation in Lexicons is more sophisticated in that you can play with crossovers etc. But the algorithm itself I believe is the same. Is it better than DPL II? Only your ears can answer that question. So do yourself a favour and listen to both.

Ian
 
G

Gomez

Guest
If decision was up to me, I would re-think the whole thing. By buying an AV- Receiver, you pay a lot of the price for the integrated power amps of the Marantz or the H/K, which you'll never use.

Additionally, I don't think that the quality of the integrated preamp can compare to any seperate preamp.

If it was up to me, I would e.g. go for a 2nd hand Rotel preamp. As only a 5.1 preamp is required, I'm sure one can find something suitable at an affordable price.

Just my 2 cents though.
 
M

MikeK

Guest
I also prefer a PCM track with DPLII to the DD 5.1 track, most of the times...

That's fair enough..... but there are very few discs which actually have a PCM soundtrack these days. Usually it's DD/DTS5.1 or DD2.0 - no PCM :( .
 
L

Lowrider

Guest
Sure Mike, but you have all the stereo sources + DD 2.0 and even prologic I
 

Similar threads

Trending threads

Top Bottom