• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which rears to match with B&W 685 / HTM62

nespresco

I got a small setup in my bedroom which i'm converting into a 5.1 system.

Currently got some B&W685s and a B&W HTM62 centre which is waiting to be set up.

Im also going to buy an AV amp to match the speakers but will get the speakers first and then look for an amp which matches them.

Been looking at either a pair of B&W 686s or B&W DS3s, whilst I do have a couple of 'Concert blu-rays' which may benefit more from the 686s am I right in thinking the DS3s will perform better for normal films. It is a quite small room, so I think an aditional pair of 685s will be too much especially consdiering the rear pair will most likely have to be wall-mounted.

bluedroog

It's said that dipole speakers such as the DS3's were designed with a pro-logic sound in mind. Pro-logic had just a mono single shared between two speakers and the dipole speakers were built to disperse the sound.

With modern multi-channel encoding direct radiating speakers such as the more traditional 686's may be better.

The other alternative would be the B&W M1's which are very neat satellites, I wouldn't use them up front but for surround duties I think are ideal. Their wall brackets make them very easy to mount and point at your listening position. You could even go for four of these across the back if you fancied trying 7.1. Can buy as individuals too at around £125 each from Superfi among others.

nespresco

I hadn't considered the M-1s but having a look at there size and specifications, compared to the 686, they seem to offer remarkably similar performance, at least on paper, in a much smaller enclosure potentially making them an ideal choice. What would the beneift of going for the 686s be ? How important is the low end of the frequency range for rear speakers?

bluedroog

Rear speakers only really need to deliver higher middle ranges and high ranges, the sub will produce everything else. The 683's I would expect to be marginally better but given how sleek the M1's are I think they are a good compromise.

nespresco

So any sound track being played will be handled by the front pair, i.e. the rears are only required to provide the surround effects? I might have to go and audition these M-1s and see what they are like.

Killak

Hi Nespresco, just wandering how you got on with the M1s? I too have a similar set up as in I have 685 s2 for the front with HTM62 s2 for the center but need to find matching rears which are smaller than the 686.

Were the M1's a good match? Did you try any others?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom