• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which Rears? Monitor Audio fronts..

bobsp

Standard Member
I have just got hold of 3 Monitor Audio Radius R250HD’s which I will be using as the left, centre and right front’s

I was wondering to go with the 225HD’s for the rear, or two more 250’s or some others.

I have a Pioneer VSX 920 amp, and am still looking for a sub….

Any suggestions??

Bob

GW43

Prominent Member
Stick to the same manufacturer. You should be able to get away with smaller speakers at the rear if you wish.

bobsp

Standard Member
Hmm, ok I might go with the 225's or even the 180's, as I think 250's might be a bit big for rears.

Thanks

Bob

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Having 250s all around would be the ideal as all speakers would be the same so giving the most integrated sound possible. That said there will be no issues with the smaller 225 or 180s.
As for subs I would look at the BK electronics range as they are hard to beat on the value for money front.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Stick to the same manufacturer. You should be able to get away with smaller speakers at the rear if you wish.

Why do people suggest using lesser speakers for surrounds? Are the frequencies that come out of the surrounds less important than those that comes out of the front speakers?

Obviously budget limits are a fact of life, but I'd get the best you can. In my view, good surrounds make a difference.

If budget and space allows, I'd go for the 250s.

bobsp

Standard Member
Well budget does play a part, just before Xmas and a mrs that... Well..
I will try and go for the 250's. It's also that slot of packages tend to have smaller rears so was just wondering.
Thanks anyway
Bob

Sonylids

Standard Member
most of the music and speech come out the 3 front speakers, therefore most people are able to run smaller rears (also easier to hide) to provide atmosphere.

I have 3 x 225HD and 2 x 90's, not had a problem.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
therefore most people are able to run smaller rears (also easier to hide) to provide atmosphere.

You obviously prefer style over substance?. Surrounds are not there to provide 'atmosphere', they're there to provide the discrete sounds that the sound enginner has designated to the surround speakers.

I have 3 x 225HD and 90's2 x , not had a problem

The 90s have a low end frequency response of 80HZ, this is often the -3db down point which means the crossover should be set to 90 or 100HZ. This is above the 'standard' 80HZ crossover that the 225s can easily handle. If you have an amp with a global crossover setting, that means you wouldn't be getting the best out of the fronts as they's also be set to 90-100HZ.

Budget limits everyone. What I was saying is that if you have the budget, don't scrimp on surround speakers, thinking that they're not really that important, because good ones do make a difference.

bobsp

Standard Member
Well I got the RXFX in Gloss Black as the rears, should be here tomorrow, but I doubt it with the snow....:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom