1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which rear projection TV?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Godzooky, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Godzooky

Godzooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking about buying a rear projection TV. I have a Sony 28" widescreen TV 100 HZ. I am thinkoing about the new Toshiba 42" or possibly 50" or maybe the SonyKP44". I have also seen some 40" Toshiba's 100Hz at under £1000.

What would you recommend? Where is the best place to buy? Will the picture be better than my Sony w/s TV now?

2. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba! Try Sound & Vision, Bolton, 01204 861861

3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get the panny TX42PT10. great picture and great looking. far better build quality compared to the tosh although the tosh has a SLIGHTLY better picture..

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Yep...Panny or Tosh, forget Sony RPs.

btw, I have the Tosh 40WH08B...AWESOME!

5. matt janes

matt janes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 50" Tosh - by comparison the 42" looks small now that I'm used to 50". I love this set - picture and sound both superb.

If you're thinking about the 50", be aware that it is very big - both physically and visually. The 42" is much thinner at the top of the set and doesn't look so bulky.

If you can accommodate it, go for the 50". You'll be wanting to upgrade a 42" before long.

I got mine from QED - have had a couple of problems with service so I'd go for price match at House of Fraser/John Lewis in case you get any technical problems with the set. I understand that they will match online prices.

Good luck!

6. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sony and it's a great TV, DRC works just as well on RP as it does on "normal" TV's. To answer yr question on whether or not the picture will be "better" it all depends on what you deem important. Clarity and sharpness is normally better on CRT TV's ,but I believe RP's have caught up significantly in the last few years, enough so that the extra size more than makes up for the slightly inferior picture.

Now which one to choose? I think the Sony has a glossier,crisper look to it than the Tosh, haven't seen the Panasonic. The Tosh though has better colours,more "vibrant" picture, and of course component inputs. But you can see scanning lines on the tosh while you can't on the Sony cause of DRC. The best thing to do is check them out side by side,eg at Comet.

Lastly,be wary of just going for the cheapest price when you buy. Technology of this type sooner or later may need some tweaking, adjustments to picture, etc and then you want your after sales service.

7. Donald

Donald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have the Sony KP61PS2 and am very happy with the picture quality. Even when watching extreme widescreen the image is very large. The DRC function on the Sony is excellent. Don't think I could ever go back to a smaller screen size.

8. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I'm with Kevo on this one, had the Toshiba 40WH08B for just over a year - FANTASTIC picture quality.

John

9. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for the Panasonic 42. IMO the build quality is superior to the Tosh.