1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which rear pro?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by porker, Aug 18, 2003.

1. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ten year old telly is on its last legs, so looking for a nice big rear pro. I was almost sold on the Toshiba 42PW23P which seems to be popular with some forum members but then I noticed that the Sony KP44PX2U can now be had for as little as £1249 which makes it a realistic alternative.
    I want to know if there is much to choose between the two of them?
    Apart from 2 inches!
    I've had a look at them both in comet but it's hard to tell with crappy feeds, the only thing I did notice was the Sony seemed to have a more reflective screen which could be a problem for daytime viewing.

Any help appreciated

Porker.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I have one of the Toshiba 50WT29B RPTV's here.....excellent picture quality(when the default contrast and colour settings are turned down)and generally very good all round....I tried the Sony when I was in the market for an RPTV and came away with the Toshiba....having said that,the Sony also has very good picture quality,and I'm sure you'll hear from plenty of Sony owners shortly!...if you want a better look...get them to hook a decent DVD player up to the TV's and take one of your DVD's in with you....if they want the sale,they'll work for it a bit.

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    They're both great sets. Which one depends on the deal you get but I would only buy an RPTV with a 5 year waranty. When I bought my Toshiba last October they were doing loads of promotions and although I didn't buy from the cheapest dealer I got a 5 year waranty and stand for free. It may be worth waiting until next month to see what promotions start up. Toshiba have new sets launch too which means the old ones will be further discounted. I paid about £1250 for a 43" 4:3 which can now be bought for £899. Even though I love my Toshiba set I have to say that the Sony design looks much better in the flesh.

4. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for your views guys:smashin:

Any Sony boys out there?

5. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sony PX2. FANTASTIC. I had the Tosh before this and it was a great picture but it had its problems. The 2 main ones were that the left of the screen was a sort of sepia colour (only really noticable on b/w films) the 2nd was the verticval bars present on most ws sets. I then got the sony and I can honestly say I cant find 1 single fault. Its perfect and I am very fussy so even im surprised. Tnhe tosh did have a more non reflective screen but my PX2s screen is no more reflective than any normal crt set.

hth
    shaun

6. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks shaun, good to hear from someone who has owned both sets. I've just moved my AV equpment rack to make space for the new set, so if the Sony will fit I am getting it.:smashin:

Cheers,

Porker.