1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which rear centre?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by diesel, Feb 20, 2002.

1. diesel

diesel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi,
    my speaker setup at the moment:

S-85 & S-85C main /centre speakers.
    Surround 55 MKII Surounds.
    VX100 Sub.

All M&K for those that don't recognise the model numbers:)

I have a Sony STR-DB1070 Amp which has 6.1 EX capability.

Is it worth connecting an extra centre rear?

If the answer is yes, can anyone suggest a centre rear. I was thinking of buying another S85C but this is only because I know these speakers are availablr individually. Would it make a good choice as a rear centre?

Any advice from u knowledgeable peeps would be very much appreciated:D

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not familiar with the speakers but you could also connect 2 add. speakers to the 6th channel output, wired in series or parallel, depending on the impedance. Match those to the existing rears (55 Mk II).

This (like one center rear) makes IMHO only sense when you have some space behind the listening position.

3. diesel

diesel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    There is about 3 metres between the the surround speakers, but the dimensions of the room are such that they are directly above/behind the ideal viewing position.

Is it not worth the effort if they are so close together?

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure what you mean, Reiner? Why would you want to wire two speakers to the 6th out?

Anyway... Sony has a phantom rear centre (virtual 6.1), but I don't know how good it is...

And even when mine does arrive, I don't have a rear centre to compare.

-TF

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    TF

There is some talk that two rear centre speakers is better than one on it's own. Technical stuff that I have forgotten.

Sony rear isn't phantom, it is real. There is one amplified rear centre channel

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian..

I was referring to you can have a phantom rear centre (rather than a real one) produced by the two surround speakers and I was wondering how close it was to the real thing.

-TF

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know as I don't have the right shaped room for an extra speaker so never bothered.

Rumour has it (or Reiner has it anyway) that it is not worthwhile if you don't have much room behind the seating position. I don't have any room at all.

I think that centre rear speakers were designed by Americans for those that live in Dallas type ranch houses

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got that phantom switched on them?

-TF

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Why would you want to wire two speakers to the 6th out?

It is recommended to use two speakers (matching the existing rears) as one add. speaker could trick your brain into thinking the sound comes from the fronts. Some psycho-acoustic stuff rather than technical. As well THX recommends using two Surround Back speakers. Some amps (like the new Denon line-up) do therefore have 7 amplifiers, i.e. SB L and SB R though the signal fed to them is mono. If you don't have 7 amps you can still have 7 speakers by connecting them as described but nothing stops you from using one center rear only, it was just a suggestion.

The "phantom rear" is IMHO nothing else than another (useless) DSP mode like V.S.S., Tru Surround or whatever similar stuff is called. Nothing beats the real thing I would say ... ;)