1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which RC. H/K Take Control - 5000i - Pronto

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Cool-hand, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I would like to hear your views on the setting up of either the Philips Pronto, Marantz RC5000i or the H/K Take Control programmable remote controls.

I keep reading the Pronto and 5000i are a real nightmare and will become a lifetime mission once started. This I can do without. Not heard much about the H/K Take Control but it looks pretty good.

Its clear to see that the 5000 and pronto have a big following which is good for back-up.

Your views will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Also if anyone else thinks I should be looking at something else, I'm all ears or err.....eyes

2. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I haven't seen the H/K so I cannot comment on it, but the Pronto....

How much time you spend on it is really up to you, I had mine controlling my kit within an hour, but I then spent another few hours over 4 days getting it to look the way I wanted. Alot of that time was spent trying different looks from Remotecentral.

Download the emulator and see how easy it is.:D

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    See now I'm in the opposite corner.
    I have the IRIQ Madrigal Remote, view it at http://www.madrigal.com/IRIQ.htm and buy from http://www.signals.demon.co.uk/index1.htm

It is exactly the same as the HK but a different name that's all.

I did have a Pronto but just didn't get on with it.
    I find the IRIQ so much simpler to use and alter. Pronto Edit for me was a nightmare.
    Search my past post on it when I bought this remote after selling the Pronto.

The Pronto can do much much more, the HK/IRIQ is no longer updateable, and the cost is about the same, but IRIQ is my preference.

Easy to use, programme, alter, Microsoft wizard in use (brilliantly simple), the button layout very handy and feels better than the Pronto. Rechargeable batteries last about 4 -6 weeks. The 'Power' wheel is excellent. The hard buttons are all individually porgrammable too. It has learnt all my codes for all my equipment. The remotecentral complaints about IR power and backlight are complete rubbish. The backlight is just as good as the Pronto, the IR just needs pointing at the kit, that's it. It feels good in the hand and feels like it can survive a drop or two. :rolleyes:

My advice is to go see one/both if you can and decide. If you are a computer boffin, the nthe Pronto won't give you any trouble.
    But if like me you really don't want to spend half yourlife screaming at the pc to set up a remote, get the HK.

Happy shopping.

4. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a Pronto user I have to say that it took me around half a day to get to grips with Pronto Edit and the rest of the day to 'do the do' and after that I could of left it as it was but I continue to play now and then by changing/adding things.

Pronto for me is a great RC but the software can be a bit of a handfull unless you have the brain of DATA from Star Trek!;) as it is very user freindly....NOT!

All joking aside, the software is not that bad and the RC is very good.

If you opt for a Pronto there are loads of us around to help you out on the forum.

Taz.:cool:

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    GS

Out of interest can I ask you why you went with the IRIQ instead of the H/K if the units are the same?
    Are there any minor menu/program differences?

Thanks for the hyperlinks, very handy.

Whats all the hassle about the back light and the lettering on the lcd screen looks quite small, is it ok or just a bad picture? My eye sight is good but I don't wanna be struggling to read it (especially in the dark)!

Thanks

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Went with the IRIQ as it was at my local dealer and it was the cheapest in the UK. Absoluetly no differences between units at all.

Some people/users over at www.remotecentral.com complained about the backlight not being potent enough. Just being petty IMO. The display is plenty big enough.

I just thought you ought to know at least what I knew b4 you went in at the deep end as it were.
    :D

For reviews go to-

http://www.audioreview.com/Remote,Controls/PLS_2770crx.aspx

or

http://www.remotecentral.com/take/index.html

In fact www.remotecentral.com (if you didn't already know should answer all your questions. Info about the Pronto there too with plenty of user reviews to help you decide between the two.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone's interested, I've got a HK Take Control unit that I no longer use, boxed with instructions, cd & all cables etc. Make me a reasonable offer... and it won't be relegated to the study.

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    There you go. Bargain.:D

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    What did you go for in the end and why?

10. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Marantz 5000i with docking station is for sale in immaculate condition, boxed, for £150

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    :D