Which rare/exclusive cars have you seen on the road?

TheBoingoBandit

Established Member
Reaction score
I was inspired to start this thread after seeing both a Noble and a Bugatti Veyron today.

Which rare/exclusive cars hve you seen on the road? They can either be driven or parked up, but not in a showroom or part of an event or display. I'm especially interested hearing from people who live in rural areas and rarely visit any cities. You're welcome to post up any photos you've taken too.

I'm cheating a bit as I live in London where Phamtoms, Ferraris and Porsches are ten a penny.

Anyway, here's the ones I can think of:

Bugatti Veyron - one today, one parked outside Harrods (which is where you'll see a lot of these types of cars).

Ford GT40 - both parked and driven.

Rolls Royce Phamtom - In London you'll see these on a far more regular basis than you'd think. I've had days when I've been into the centre of town and seen three or four on the same day. I also saw a Phantom convertable in Chiswick once.

Maybachs - Far rarer than the Phantom, but you do see one every few months.

McLaren F1 - Haven't seen any in months, but I used to see one every so often a few years back. I once saw one of Shepherds Bush Road.

Jaguar XJ220 - At the same spot in Shepherd's Bush Road at few weeks ago I saw a XJ220 with Gumball 3000 paintwork. I saw one earlier this year whizz alongside Hyde Park and one a few yeas back in Bayswater.

Pagani Zonda - Being so expensive I was shocked to spot one of these last year parked in a road near Harrods.

Ferrari F40 - I've seen at least one on the road (unless it was a replica).

Not a car nor expensive (compared to above) but very rare. I once saw a Ecomobile in Bristol. http://www.ecomobile.com/index.1.jpg

My two fav's of the many I've seen are the Ford GT40 and the McClaren F1. The latter just about made me cream my pants....

I've seen a Bugatti Veyron in Whitefield,Manchester.Couldn't believe my eyes,i couldn't turn the car around quick enough just so i could get a picture but alas it disappeared :(

Was working in london this week and outside the house we where working on was a gleaming mclaren SLR ! awesome monster!

Saw a black Noble few weeks ago in Nottingham. Seemed to be coping well with the speed bumps around the area.

Used to see a lambo dialbo going past my house daily until they put the speed bumps in

Was working in london this week and outside the house we where working on was a gleaming mclaren SLR ! awesome monster!

Seen a few of those round.

Didn't mention Lambos as you see plenty in London.

Other ultra rare cars I've seen in London are a Ferrari ESTATE and and a Rolls Royce ESTATE! Yes, really! (The Roller doesn't look too bad, but the Ferrari - urgh!)

Just thought of some more. I used to see the Hummer-lookalike Lamborghini LM002 parked in Notting Hill about ten years ago. (Only 301 were ever made and even now sell for tens of thousands of pounds each.)

There used to be a BMW Z1 with the drop down doors parked in North Kensington many years back. Not ultra rare or expensive (or popular when first made), but only 8000 were ever made.

Rare in their usual colour, there used to be a YELLOW DeLorean parked near Earls Court. It made the cover of a Auto Trader magazine once.

Other ultra rare cars I've seen in London are a Ferrari ESTATE and and a Rolls Royce ESTATE! Yes, really! (The Roller doesn't look too bad, but the Ferrari - urgh!)

Just thought of another one. I ued to see the Hummer-lookalike Lamborgini LM002 parkd in Notting Hill about ten years ago. (Only 301 were ever made and even now sell for tens of thousands of pounds each.)

think ive seen that same lambo. Ferrari and roller estate :eek:, didnt know they existed, at least the ferrari- are you sure it wasnt a custom.

I wouldnt mind seeing the xj220 with the gumball artwork the op saw, mustve been nice.

I used to live and work in the Woking / Guildford area - on weekdays Mclaren F1's were always on the streets around Woking at one point - they used to be MOT'd at a unit next to where my employer had a storage facility. On a Saturday I used to park at the top of Pewley Hill in Guildford - a nice bloke in an F40 used to park in the same bit of street most Saturdays - I think he has some connection to Pink Floyd or some other band.......

There used to be a BMW Z1 with the drop down doors parked in North Kensington many years back. Not ultra rare or expensive (or popular when first made), but only 8000 were ever made.

I bought myself a new car last week and there were three other cars in the garage. One was a two year old Bentley, the second was a Ferrari and the third hidden under a dust sheet was a BMW Z1. I've never seen one before so had a good look. The reason that not many are about is because you have to be young and slim to get in it as those that aren't agile enough have no chance.

Now that summer is here (supposedly) more interesting cars will be taken out of hibernation

I bought myself a new car last week and there were three other cars in the garage. One was a two year old Bentley, the second was a Ferrari and the third hidden under a dust sheet was a BMW Z1. I've never seen one before so had a good look. The reason that not many are about is because you have to be young and slim to get in it as those that aren't agile enough have no chance.

Now that summer is here (supposedly) more interesting cars will be taken out of hibernation

So you weren't slim and agile enough to buy it? ;)

I've very slim but even I have trouble getting into the Caterham 7. The Lotus Elise is difficult to get into as well.

Saw a Rolls Royce Estate on Oxford Street years ago, also seen a Jag XJS estate and a Rover P6 estate , thought all 3 looked good.
Sat in a new Rolls Royce Phantom the other week - floor mats had the deepest pile Ive seen.
Saw this last week at Santa Pod - new Skyline:cool:
SkylineGTR.jpg

Ford GT40 - both parked and driven.

Ummm... do you mean a Ford GT?? original GT40's are extremely rare MK1's and MK2's were only built for racing... The MK3's didn't sell well due to their high price and being very much detuned... and the MK4's well we're back to racing again.

You can get original GT40's on the road, but you really do have more chance of seeing a gold plated Veyron.

There are quite a few Replicas around like this one:
GT40.jpg

There is a XJ220 (silver) that i've seen local a couple of times.

There was a brave guy in a Lambo Murcielago LP640 coming out of our road, very wide car (with expensive wheels) not very wide road with nasty alloy munching kerbs...lol

I've seen a 69 ZL1 Copo Camaro... very rare only 69 ever made.. i believe highest recorded price for 1 was about $800,000.

Ferrari F40.. years ago at Farnham train station.. some really old guy fell out of it, damn that guy's my hero, that's how i want to spend my retirement.

MG SV R at the last wheels day.

Lola T70 on the same day.

A week ago I saw a Lambo Murcielago trying to get through the McD drivethrough a few miles from us.No chance,I can barely get my Audi through safely.He then took the best part of 3 parking bays it was so wide.Great on the track,but nonsense in the real world!

Ummm... do you mean a Ford GT?? original GT40's are extremely rare MK1's and MK2's were only built for racing... The MK3's didn't sell well due to their high price and being very much detuned... and the MK4's well we're back to racing again.

You can get original GT40's on the road, but you really do have more chance of seeing a gold plated Veyron.

I do mean the GT, I didn't realise that the modern version was not called the GT 40. I know the orginal's called that because it's 40 inches in height.

The Ferrari and Rolls Estates were made especially for the Sultan of Brunei.

Liam

I saw a Lambo Murcielago trying to get through the McD drivethrough

Proof if any were needed that just because you drive an expensive car doesn't mean that you have taste :rotfl:

Ferruccio Lamborghini would be turning in his grave if he thought that his creations were being abused by association

I do mean the GT, I didn't realise that the modern version was not called the GT 40. I know the orginal's called that because it's 40 inches in height.

Nope... just called the GT... partly because it's 43 inches tall and i have a feeling ford don't own the rights to the GT40 title anymore, could be wrong.

As far as i know the only company to be able to use GT40 is Superperformance who build a "Continuation Car" replica of the original GT40's which carry on from the original Chassis Numbers.

Every now and again, M1 users are treated to the sight of a 1929 4 Litre Bentley being used in all weather conditions and at a speed you might not expect a 79 year old car to be doing.

I have to confess I think its awesome.

Proof if any were needed that just because you drive an expensive car doesn't mean that you have taste :rotfl:

Excuse me!I enjoyed my quarter pounder with cheese.Admittedly it was the first I'd had 1n 6 months,but one cannot always find a michelin starred restaurant when one feels a pang of hunger.

Every now and again, M1 users are treated to the sight of a 1929 4 Litre Bentley being used in all weather conditions and at a speed you might not expect a 79 year old car to be doing.

I have to confess I think its awesome.

Now that's more like it.True style.

Was in Paris the other week:
Bugatti Veyron, Ford GT & a really nice Shelby Colby Mustang (Spelling?) not that up with American cars but had a good look round as it was parked, looked a lot like the one in Gone in 60 seconds, same coluor too.

Just once, on a motorway heading out from Angers, heading towards Paris (where else :rolleyes:) I saw a white Maseratti Quattroporte. It was going faster than me in my Peugot Partner!
But it was truly awesome.

There is one in a dealer's a few miles from me and I was very tempted to buy it a couple of weeks ago but decided that i couldn't risk Italian engineering.

This one was working pretty well!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom