Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which RAM?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by JohnnyBoy69, Feb 25, 2004.

1. JohnnyBoy69

JohnnyBoy69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking in2 the idea of building my own pc instead of buying one but i need a bit of help before i start ordering any components for it.

The thing i need to know is what kind of RAM i need to buy, either pc2700 or pc3200. im more than likely going to have an Athlon XP 2600 cpu but im not sure which motherboard yet (any suggestions on that would be a big help aswell!!!).

Do i need to buy RAM that is the same MHz as the motherboard or the cpu? from what i gather pc2700 is 333MHz and pc3200 is 400MHz so which one will be better suited to the XP 2600?

If any of this makes no sense all then i apologize for my complete lack of knowledge but any help with be greatly accepted!!!!

2. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    All depends on what your motherboard can support. Could be PC2700, PC3200, PC3500, PC3700, PC4000..............

3. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The FSB on a 2600 is 333MHz, so unless you're into tweaking and squeezing every last ounce of performance out of your machine, I would use pc 2700 at 333MHz which should give you a nice stable machine - essential for a HTPC.