1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which RAM disks?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andyhag, Mar 3, 2004.

1. andyhag

andyhag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

A new machine (HS2). Ok until I tried to use a JVC(NON cartridge) RAM disk....then got "stuck disc" problem. That is now sorted after a lot of hassle

What RAM discs do I go for Cartridge? Panny?

Help

Cheers

Andy

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    How did you get the disk out in the end if you don't mind me asking?

Assuming you don't need to put them in a PC or a set-top player then I would get caddied ones (you can remove them from the Caddy but it's a pain).

Bear in mind you probably won't use RAM disks that much in your HS2 so don't get too many. Personally I just use them for 'medium term storage', i.e. I record a programme that I may want to archive and dub it to DVD-RAM for a couple of months to see if it gets an official DVD release. If it doesn't then I compile a DVD-R. This way the recording isn't cluttering up the HDD and is safe from being accidentally deleted.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not had a problem with any RAM disk but when a Dubbing to DVD-R session has died and the box goes into standby I press the eject button. This has the effect of powering up the box and opening the tray.

If it's really serious and you get the message saying it wants to initialise the disk then I just switch off at the mains and power back on and then do the above.

Hope this helps

Dave