which RAID Card?

Deadringers

there seems to be lot out there, some ranging from about £20 Lycom PE-103 x2 Port SATAII 3Gbps PCI-E Controller Card with NCQ - PC/MAC/Linux - Scan.co.uk
and then some which are about £400 or more which seem to generally have mini SAS connectors and built in Cache Memory. RocketRAID4311 - HighPoint RocketRAID 4311LF - Scan.co.uk

i think the ones with built in cache memory are a pretty cool idea (gf didnt seem to share my enthusiasm:confused:) and they all seem quite good..but are they worth it?
and will i see a benifit if i am using just two SSDs in RAID 0 by usin one of these expensive cards or would i be better off using the onboard raid controler of my MOBO? (dont talk to me about redundcy as i have an external HDD to back everything up to:) )

just a quick reminder of my system that i am putting together
price: about 2.5k
MOBO: Asus P6T6 WS Revolution, iX58, Sok 1366, PCI-E 2.0, Triple DDR3 1600(OC), SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX - Scan.co.uk
want it for performance, gaming, work such as photoshop and VB.net programming and C++

thanks in advance

drsuave

well if you are just using RAID0 cache is not as important as with a RAID5 or 6 but you will be greatly effected by the I/Os the card can deal with.

I would say try with the m/board first and if not up to want you are looking for find a card with greater I/Os and a good processor.

Any card cheaper than 50- 100 pounds will be no better than the one on the m/board.

Lampshader

adaptec are top iv'e got 1X 1420SA and 3X 1430SA and they have never let me down and they have their own bios also

Deadringers

I would say try with the m/board first and if not up to want you are looking for find a card with greater I/Os and a good processor.

this is all well and good drsuave but i do not know what i am looking for really!! how will i know that the performance that my new PC is producing is just very fast and not limited by the HDD controlers?

jbloggs

Novice Member
how will i know that the performance that my new PC is producing is just very fast and not limited by the HDD controlers?

2 x SSDs in RAID0 are not enough to saturate the ICH10R interface; you will find absolutely no performance differance between 2 x SSDs in RAID0 on the ICH10R and any (true) hardware SATA RAID cont., as already stated, the hardware SATA RAID card is only needed when running a RAID5/6 setup, as it is the onboard processor (of the RAID card) that will do the parity calculation, rather than the CPU without using a hardware RAID cont.

I would say try with the m/board first

I would go with this suggestion...also make sure you do the recommended tweaks to get the best from your SSDs, you will find these tweaks on the OCZ Forum.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom