which RAID array?

paradoxal

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Which RAID array would provide optimum performance with backup?

KIT List..

4 x Popcorn Media Players
1 x MHS 2011 (ANY DVD with My Movies)
4 x 3TB HDD

im thinking RAID 10?

Whos had experience with this? Discussion Welcome! :)

thanks all in advance

Ed

RAID-5 - enough level of security in non-production environment.

RAID-10 is mirroring without parity. I don't think you want to dedicate half of your space for mirroring. You can always use Drivepool by Stablebit with folder duplication if you need mirroring and forget about array card.

My kit is similar: 4 x 3TB, and N40L with HP P410 array card running WHS2011. One drive is dedicated for parity thus I have 8.1 TB usable instead of 5.4 TB in case of Raid-10.

Try Unraid. Better than raid in every way apart from write speed.

unRAID is getting a bit old now. We've stopped actively pushing it. The beta that supports 3tb disks has been beta for nigh on 18 months and I wonder if it will ever make a production version. Its supposedly at the release candidate stage but has been for at least 6 months. the project has stagnated.

unRAID is getting a bit old now. We've stopped actively pushing it. The beta that supports 3tb disks has been beta for nigh on 18 months and I wonder if it will ever make a production version. Its supposedly at the release candidate stage but has been for at least 6 months. the project has stagnated.

Can I ask what you use now ?
I'm currently using the free version of unRAID but yesterday while ripping some DVD's I ran out of storage space so now need to decide what to do next: either upgrade unRAID or maybe change to something else entirely.

Can I ask what you use now ?
I'm currently using the free version of unRAID but yesterday while ripping some DVD's I ran out of storage space so now need to decide what to do next: either upgrade unRAID or maybe change to something else entirely.
I use flexRAID at home (have a 38tb server and a 72tb server) and it can have as many parity disks as you want. The next versions call nzfs will be under the operating system rather than on top as the current version is

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom