1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which radeon not to buy

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gadjet, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Reading from the past I read not to buy a Radeon 9600 to go for a 9700 or better, or even a 9200.
    Have I remembered right. I will be ordering a pc soon and a lot have options of seperate cards. Which one will be the best for connecting pc to pj.

Thank you,

Phill

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Should really post this in the HTPC forum - have a look ther efor more info.

The 9600 (fanless version) is the one to go for. If you expect to play games, you might want to get the 9700 but otherwise the 9600 will be perfect!
    Paul

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
  4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Um .. I have a 9700 working fine, what's supposed to be the problem with them? :eek:

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moved to HCPCs.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Just to add a bit more info:

Until recently, all Radeons would play a DVD with much the same results. However, with the likes of the 9600 (and higher I believe), you get better mpeg deblocking and noise removal, so in theory, get a better picture.

If it's best playback for best value, then the Non-Pro version 9600 is the one to go for if it's just for DVD playback. The Pro version or a higher model number will be better for gaming, but will not give an improved picture for DVD.

There's nothing wrong with the 9700 IIRC, it's just got extra 'stuff' that won't benefit DVD, but will give better gaming results.

At least, that's how I remember it. :)

Gary.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, I just wondered what I'd been suffering without knowing it. ;)

It can be hard to tell whether cards have fans or not, I looked for a 9600 for a friend of mine and couldn't find a fanless one in my usual haunts.

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,498
    Are all 9600 non pros fanless? If not is it certain manufacturers versions?

Cheers,
    Andy.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Not sure to be honest Andy - I think it can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but the non-pro will produce less heat so in theory shouldn't need a fan.

Gary.

10. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This does bother me actually.

There seems to be little info on manufacturers websites on whether the cards have a fan or not. How would we know?

11. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, most good hardware sites like ebuyer or aria have the ability to post reviews about the product - if it hasn't been mentioned already then ask and someone will soon put you straight

12. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,769
    I recently bought the Saphire 9600 non-pro and it is fanless.

13. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    At the moment Radeon 9500's and higher have the DirectX9 core which apparently allows better software MPEG hardware assisted decoding.

I also checked in to this for a friend who was speccing an overall pc.

Radeon 8500/9100/9200DirectX8.1, not the newer DirectX9 cores. Probably best to avoid for long-term use in software player/holo3dgraphI HTPC's.

Radeon 9500's discontinued now. Need a Zalman vga heatsink to be silent. Runs hot to the touch.
    Radeon 9500 pro - runs hotter, not needed for HTPC.

Radeon 9600's - ideal and many fanless as standard, so probably runs cooler than a 9500.
    Jeff mentioned it might look a tiny bit better than the 9500 he had before. Some of the manufacturers are reported to use sub-standard boards, so get the type Jeff got!

Radeon 9600 pro - runs hotter and has a fan, not needed for HTPC. Not as fast as 9500 pro for gaming BTW as Nvidia did the 9600's as a cost reduction release.

Radeon 9700 and 9800's. Good for 3D gaming, but not needed for HTPC. For gaming, the Geforce FX 5800 about matches the Radeon 9800 Pro and is about £40 less. The Geforce 5900 looks to about match the best available (GeForce 5800/5900 Ultras) at about £80 less.
    Beware for HTPC though as GeForce might still not have the Radeon DVD image quality, although I haven't noticed any recent reviews of the 5800/5900 cores compared to Radeons. Historically GeForces have had poorer scaling quality, might not still be the case though?

cheers,
    Rob.

14. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The 9600's were built to a pricing point, but were also a toe in the water for the .13 micron core. The benefits are cool running and low power consumption. I do some modest gaming so chose the pro version and passively cooled it with the zalman heatsink. 30 Celsius normal, 35 loaded with MOH@XGA resolutions, quality settings maximised. 2D quality is excellent (as expected) when working with DVD's.

15. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hold on, have to correct you there:

The Geforce FX 5800 (ultra or not) is nowhere near the Radeon 9800 Pro in gaming, and neither is the FX 5900 in most cases. The only Geforce FX that can match a Radeon 9800 PRO is the 5900 ULTRA 256MB but at almost £400 it damn well should do (considering radeon 9800 pros are around £260 or less if you flash a non-pro into a pro). The entire FX range are also seriously lacking in performance and image quality in DirectX 9 titles. Nvidia have really dropped the ball this year, and wont stand a chance at recovering until well into next year with the NV40.

16. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The graphic card that I chose with a lot of uming and aring being the 9800 Radeon All Wonder card. My Pc price has gone way over the top in price that I set as my target. The price of my PC is £1642 from £1500.
    I am still feeling "what have I done" so please dont say how wrong I was, too, late now the PC is ordered.
    I was very kindly offered help from a forum user too build the PC between us, but the only reason I didnt is having someone to sort it out if it wasnt right and not feeling guilty to keep ringing(assurance).
    I am looking forward to connecting the PC to my pj and ther same time just as nervous to not see any difference to my pioneer 747.
    I remember "messiah" saying that PC's wont make much difference unless you use CRT projectors but at least it will be brilliant on my fav game GP4.

Great reading people thoughts,
    Phill