Which Radeon 9600?

J

jsmurray

I want VGA & svideo output to my screens, and so the Radeon 9600 (non PRO, & non SE) seems to be the most suited.
I read somewhere to avoid the Sapphire Radeon's but there was no explanation why.

I have found a Sapphire, connect3D, Hightech, GigaCube and Creative cards all for around 80quid.

Is there a better supported one?

Personally I would go for the Sapphire Radeon 9600pro 128MB *ULTIMATE* version. Which is basically fanless, using a heat pipe solution instead.

I have one of these in my games PC (SHUTTLE) ,and it rocks. It cost about £140 if i remember.

For gaming the Pro version, for HCPC the non-Pro. Agree with the choice of Sapphire. :)

Originally posted by originalbadboy
Personally I would go for the Sapphire Radeon 9600pro 128MB *ULTIMATE* version. Which is basically fanless, using a heat pipe solution instead.

Would this be a good compromise between gaming and HCPC?

Rich

I have a Zalman heat-pipe on my 9800 Pro and it works well, however the 9600 isn't a really high-powered gaming rig so if gaming was a major use then I'd not feel comfortable with a 9600 really .. of course, it's heavily dependent on one's game preferences, I'm a great Morrowind fan and a 9600 doesn't cut it at all for that game at all.

If there is truly a balance between gaming and HCPC and out-and-out gaming performance can be sacrificed then yes the Zalman-equipped 9600 would be a reasonable compromise, though since I can't conceive putting games on my HCPC I've never really analysed the 9600's capabilities for that.

Well it seems there are no concerns with regards to the Sappphire, so I'll just buy the cheapest I guess.

Thanks all.

The XT's are ok .... but they are not particulary great in the 3D department . A reasonable tradeoff for the price though I suppose.

Personally I think the 9600pro is fine for gaming, it may not have the raw power of the 9800pro, but it dont cost £300 either ....

The XT's are ok .... but they are not particulary great in the 3D department . A reasonable tradeoff for the price though I suppose.

Personally I think the 9600pro is fine for gaming, it may not have the raw power of the 9800pro, but it dont cost £300 either ....

so the 9600pro is fine, but the 9600xt's "are not particulary great in the 3D department" even though they are faster? And for £99 special offer @ komplett?

Perhaps I should have said when I started the thread.
I am NOT interested in gaming. Only HCPC.

With this in mind, the advice has been the 9600 (non pro & non SE).

I think it's because the PRO has a fan, and the SE is slower (not sure if that has any effect on HCPC though).

Am I wrong?

I don't know the details of the SE, but speed WON'T be an issue for an HCPC, fanlessness ( is that a word? :) ) is the only important attribute, so if the only difference is speed then go for the SE if it's cheaper.

I cannot find reference that the 9600 is fanless. Is it really so?

The 9600XT Ultimate, yes: it is fanless

Kraghorn, 2 more questions:

1) is 9600 the same as 9600SE ? or are they two different cards?

1) in your card is the DVI socket near the "top" of the bracket (i.e. near the screw-hole) or viceversa? (difficult to see from the small pic. I am asking because it may not fit with my PC case

thanks

As I noted above, I haven't researched the SE so I've no idea what the differences are. However, comparing the product pages on my usual hardware supplier's web site for the 9600SE and the 9600 non-Pro there seems to be one main difference:

"128-bit floating-point color precision allows for a greater range of colors and brightness"

If you go to those pages you can see they link to the same product page on Sapphire's site so they must be pretty similar. As far as I can see any difference is going to be in areas concerned with 3D performance and that isn't of interest in an HCPC as far as I can see.

The DVI connector is indeed at the top of the backplate .. in the picture on that web page the blue one is the VGA.

the se has a 64bit memory interface as apposed to the non-pro's/pro's and xt's that have a 128bit interface. It only really makes a difference in gaming though, and a huge difference at that.

I wasnt comparing the 9600pro with the XT , they are in effect the same card, I was just pointing out , that there is nothing wrong with the 9600pro 'brand', when I was talking about not great 3d performence ... I was talking about the XT and the 9600 pro....

Dont get your knickers in a twist ... i was just trying to give out some advice

less of the attitude mate:rolleyes: i was only pointing out a contradiction in your post, and if there wasnt one then you didnt make it very clear.

and in the same post:

Don't get your knickers in a twist

Take your own advice;)

How can you tell an "originalbadboy" to have "less of an attitude" ?? :rotfl:

Anyway, that's the graphics sorted (9600 128 SE), but why doesn't someone make a decent case in the uk cheaper than a car?

I don't really want an ATC-620 as when you open the flaps you find it's obviously a PC. I like the Strata and the D-Vine 5, but they're both over £250. Not for this thread I know, but I feel better for saying it.:smoke:

Yes .. sorry .. I had a long day at work yesterday (6 till 10 to be precise), so I was a bit 'snappy'. Anyway I should have made my post a bit more clearer I suppose, my mistake ...im not worthy .. .I suck ...etc

dont even worry about it lol:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom