1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which quality deck for JPEG & zoom?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Barry Bingham, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been living relatively happily with a Denon all in one ADV700 feeding my Loewe Aconda RGB pictures of apparently flawless, noiseless depth and detail. BUT there are two things which my Denon/Loewe set up cannot deliver: JPEG viewing and the ability to zoom a letterbox 22:9 movie up to 16:9. (I find this transforms the sense of involvement even at the price of some picture information) Nor does it do component out (which seems critical for high quality JPEG...)

Toshiba's much lauded bargain SD330 does both. After much grief I got this to deliver both via a QED AV29 SQART. And I suppose the results were pretty damn good for a £100 (now £80!) player. But could I happily leave it hogging AV3 ilo of the ADV700? No way... the Toshiba requires me to engage noise reduction on the Aconda. The Denon does not and the fact is that the Tosh cannot live with the Denon for picture quality. The depth and gloss, the sheer class of the 2 year old Denon's RGB picture is in another league to the Tosh on either RGB or component. Perhaps not surprising given the price points and pedigree of these two machines.

But is there out there a mid market "quality" (say up to £300?) DVD deck that will do JPEG, 16:9 zoom, and component out and match Denon's RGB picture???? Come to that, at any price? Most of the uber-players (Arcam, Denon's own high end stuff, don't do JPEG do they???

Any thoughts?

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Can't speak for other brands but current Arcam players support JPEG and photo CD plus MP3 and WMA, and all on the same browser. They also have an excellent zoom facility with ratios including 1.25 and 1.5 to 1, which help blow up movies to fill a "wrong aspect ratio " TV screen properly.

John Dawson (Arcam)